• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 issue

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Bought 1988 bronco automatic 4x4 with push button engaging,the lights come on and I can hear the motor engaging. Anyways when I power brake it in 4x4 the rear tires spin so I know the 4x4 isn't working. Also the front drive shaft is spinning when I push the 4x4 switch on. So I know the transfer case is working. Any help would be great

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hubs locked in and working?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Automatic hubs are not working.
Rangers and BIIs have same system

Read here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/HubDiagnosis.shtml

If you don't hear clicking or grinding noise with 4WD engaged then previous owner may have removed the guts, because these could click and grind in 2WD, lol, or they are packed full of grease so can't engage.

"Don't put grease in the hubs. Just lubricate them with a little automatic transmission fluid (ATF)."

Best option, long term, is to switch to manual locking hubs, as described here: http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/Winter2002/hubs.htm

Last edited:

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yes there automatic locking hubs, I do hear a weird noise possible grinding sound when I'm driving in 2wd when I go to stop I hear it at low mph. So should I take off the front wheels and the hub covers and see if there packed with grease? Is there any" how to" post to do a step by step process for this? I would swap to manual hubs but really trying not to dump a lot of money in it. It's just my DD

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well I mean step by step on if I gotta disassemble the hubs

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
See my post ^^^^

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah I just read it, I'll give that a try first and hope that's the problem for me. Thanks for your help. I'll report back tomorrow with results.

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well went ahead and took hub covers off they had quite abit of old grease so cleaned them with breaks cleaner and then poured hot atf tranny fluid on them. i didnt really see anything outa place or broke. but not really sure what im looking for. it still doesnt engage into 4x4? the front drive shaft is locked into place when i have the 4x4 buttons on but just doesnt engage the front diff. any other ideas? i dont hear any grinding or clunks when its in 4x4 and drive around.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Last edited:

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
sorry I didn't scroll down that far I thought it just meant clean them off while still on vehicle, I'll take it apart today and clean it all really good and Let ya know. You have a link on a complete manual hub assembly for it? I'm not sure what all I'll need if I do go down that route. Thank you for your help.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well I don't think you will find parts for it, or if it would be worth while looking.
These had such a high percentage of failure after 5-10years that the "spare" parts got used up and people just switched to manual hubs after repairing once.

Your '88's auto hubs are at 26 years old

Manual hubs need to be '83-'89 models to fit your '88 BII it has a DANA 28 front axle

Google: FORD RANGER 83-89 BRONCO II MANUAL LOCKING HUBS

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Okay thanks ima look into manual hubs, I found my problem I missed it lastnight the driver side hub has no guts in it someone tookem out -_-
So just the hubs is all I will need correct for manual locking? Everything else is fine on the axle part?

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
You need the manual hubs themselves, and the wheelbearing locknut assemblies (inner nut, locking washer, outer nut). You'll also need a socket that will fit the nuts.

However your existing thrust bearings & axle washers are fine (though these parts do have to be removed in order to swap the locknuts).

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Okay I happen to find a bronco 2 89 model today with locking hubs I went and took the hubs,and everything from the First c-clip all the way to the first wheel bearing. Excuse my ignorance I never messed with 4x4 stuff before. Does this sound like I got it all? Thanks for help again.

88broncII

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
did more googling I do believe I did get all I needed hopefully tomorrow it fixes my 4x4 problem

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals