• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Edelbrock E-Street Heads

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Spotted a set of Edelbrock E-Street heads on Craigslist a few hours ago, and wandering if I should scoop them up for my V8 swap.

From the listing:
http://images.craigslist.org/01010_dCRTiLii6SR_600x450.jpg

Edelbrock E street heads are dissemble but I do have all the valves and better springs to put them back together $ 550 all parts included .
Emailed inquiring about mileage, them being disassembled, and having "better springs". This was the reply:

They have 0 mile I did not finish the build I change the spring because the springs that come with them are no good.The spring that I have to replace the ones that came with the heads are good for about 500th lift.They have the 2.02 intake valves the heads have been cut .025 with flat top piston that will give you about 9.5 to 1 compression and the valves have a 20 degree back cut.
The way they look in the pic I can believe 0 miles. I've read about the spring issue so that seems legit, but I don't know enough about valves and shaving heads to know about the rest.

I'm particularly interested in these for a couple reasons.
1) Price
2) lighter weight
3) No spark plug issue with regular headers (want to run Tri-Y long tubes)

Any other pros or cons?

Will these work on the Explorer motor? Thinking about valve clearance and camshaft. I know that I'll have to get new pushrods.

Would these heads play well with the Explorer EFI system until I can get it tuned?

Would they still work well together if went ahead and installed say an E303 cam? If I installed a set of 1.7:1 rockers

The motor going into my 86 ranger is a higher mileage 5.0L from a 98 Ford Explorer with the GT-40P heads. The plan at current is to use the Explorer EFI system, and install the motor with existing manifolds to get it running and drivable. After getting the bugs worked out I was going to get cam, heads, headers, and possibly rebuild the bottom end if it showed signs of needing it. (I don't think that it does right now based on the way that the Explorer ran.) If I got these I'd probably stick to the same plan, but it'd happen much quicker. FWIW I'm going for a lowered 2wd street truck that can double as a daily driver.

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score
Seems like a great price for aluminum heads. I do not know much about them so I can't offer much other than I believe they will perform better than the stock iron gt 40s. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on those heads for mustang builds...Google.
As for the tri y's, what trans are u running? Im mid build and just used them with my c4 transmission. It will definitely need to be modified for anything more than the 157 tooth bellhousing.
Here's how tight it is:

Just a heads up

Good luck n start a build thread. There's a few here that have done this swap and can help out.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Seems like a great price for aluminum heads. I do not know much about them so I can't offer much other than I believe they will perform better than the stock iron gt 40s. I'm sure there are plenty of threads on those heads for mustang builds...Google.
As for the tri y's, what trans are u running? Im mid build and just used them with my c4 transmission. It will definitely need to be modified for anything more than the 157 tooth bellhousing.
Here's how tight it is:

Just a heads up

Good luck n start a build thread. There's a few here that have done this swap and can help out.
Thanks!

I know that they work well on 5.0Ls in general, especially once the spring issues are settled. Just not too sure how they compare to the GT-40p heads, or how they would work with the Explorer bottom end and EFI.

Between the lighter weight and getting rid of the funky "P" head design it's probably worth the cost.

Running the 4R70W. Tri-Y is just the idea right now, I'm pretty flexible on headers as long as they flow better than stock manifolds and aren't choking the engine.

I've read plenty of the build threads. I've actually already got the drivetrain in the truck, just got to get the wiring figured, everything bolted back down, and a driveshaft made. I might start a build thread once I get back to making progress.

Last edited:

prymetime1

Reaction score
Oh sweet broskie, def start a build thread would love to see it. I thought u were still in the beginning parts phase, my bads.
Imo edelbrock is a good company and been doing this shit for years so I don't think u can go wrong at that price for those heads. I think it's easier to do plugs on the 302 in there than the old ish now.
Did u get the tri y's in with out modifying with the t5 bellhousing?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
At the moment it's just a stock Explorer motor, with stock manifolds. I'm going to leave it that way to get it running and get the bugs worked out of everything (wiring, EFI fuel and brakes). Once it's running reliably I'll start playing with heads, cams and headers.

It's nothing to look at at the moment and been stalled for a little while. Plan to dive into the EFI wiring this winter and maybe have it start & run by summer. Maybe, if I can get my @$$ moving, it will even be drive able.

Tri-Y was just what I've been thinking about for a while. I can go to anything. Shorties, long tubes, doesn't matter since I don't have any yet.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals