• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

oil leak

ssny1088

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Posted awhile back about the eec/pcm possibly losing power. Finally found a decent pin out diagram,though not entirely correct. 2" back from eec connector stripped wires and ran the 6 grounds, 2 ignition and 1 memory to bat. Ran good all day,so????? Anyway, came back from junkyard w/gauge cluster(has tach,My 97 2.3 5 spd man. for some reason didn't) and noticed puddle underneath,near drivers f tire. Pos. it's oil. Thinking (hoping) it's oil filter or sending unit. Mostly in front of filter but some on intake ,bat and brake master. Question is where is sending unit? Seen posts saying in front of filter and others saying to rear near intake? Truck sure is a PITA for only 62k orig. miles!!!!!:dunno:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2.3l Oil sending unit should be drivers side toward the back on lower head.

By the front tire would most likely be power steering "oil" or brake fluid

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Or your truck is spitting up oil through the dipstick tube due to excessive blow-by...

Put a rag around the dipstick tube if you can't find leaks anywhere else. Drive it for a bit...after checking oil levels...then check the rag for oil after the drive...if no oil could be from somewhere else...but...mine didn't always do it and I never did figure out what caused it...other than possible PCV issues...so check that also...maybe change the pcv valve (pcv stands for P Crankcase Ventilation ...can't remember what the P is for) and it allows for crankcase pressure to be released...otherwise your engine spits up oil..

ssny1088

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
leak

Thanks for heads up on location of unit. Too cold and too much fustration to mess w/today. Later in week. Did rattle test of positive crankcase ventilation valve when doing plug change a few weeks back,but will check on. Maybe I didn't get back in all the way and popped out? Will change oil filter as it's time anyway and maybe sender also and put actual gauge unit in instead of 7psi dummy and clean up mess and go from there. PS unit is full and oil is half-quart low so it's oil.:beer:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
P = positive, positive crankcase ventilation.
PCV Valve should be closed when intake vacuum is high, and blow-by is low, idle, then open as vacuum drops and blow-by increases, acceleration.

Rattle means valve is free to move, but is by no means a definitive test, lol.
Replacing PCV Valve every other oil change is not a bad idea.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Thanks for heads up on location of unit. Too cold and too much fustration to mess w/today. Later in week. Did rattle test of positive crankcase ventilation valve when doing plug change a few weeks back,but will check on. Maybe I didn't get back in all the way and popped out? Will change oil filter as it's time anyway and maybe sender also and put actual gauge unit in instead of 7psi dummy and clean up mess and go from there. PS unit is full and oil is half-quart low so it's oil.:beer:
Yeah, keep an eye on it and what RonD said about the rattle test is true...mine rattled like crazy but didn't work worth a pooty.

Thanks for the rep! :icon_thumby:

P = positive, positive crankcase ventilation.
PCV Valve should be closed when intake vacuum is high, and blow-by is low, idle, then open as vacuum drops and blow-by increases, acceleration.

Rattle means valve is free to move, but is by no means a definitive test, lol.
Replacing PCV Valve every other oil change is not a bad idea.
I thought it was Positive but I wasn't...brain isn't working right sometimes and it probably doesn't matter to most...unless you put something totally wrong out there then everyone and his sister is on you like flies on a turd...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yup, PCV valve = Pollution Control Valve Valve

Freeze Plug

Starter solenoid............on inner fender

Good Chevy or Dodge truck

All mistakes :icon_rofl:

ssny1088

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
solved

No work and warm so looked into this. Started truck and nothing obvious was leaking. Looked around pcv, crawled under to see oil sender and both were dry. Grabbed rag and wiped up what I could and for sh*** and giggles checked tightness of filter. Started again and had small shooting stream from filter. When I grabbed it must have opened up more. Guessing it's rusted under the grip material from the 4-5 yrs it sat.:beer:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
:icon_thumby:

Good thing you checked that filter...I've never had one leak other than the one I didn't tighten properly...

Glad it's not your engine puking up...that is an expensive fix...:)

enjr44

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 2X4; 08 FX4
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
A little bitty hole in a filter can pump one hell of a lot of oil in seconds. I dropped a filter, still in its box, and put a little dent in it. Put it on and had oil all over the place in seconds. The drop put a little crack in the can. Learned a lot from that mess.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals