• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Odometer Fraud

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1) get rear ended - check
2) discover driver is uninsured - check
3) file uninsured claim with my insurance - check
4) discover the person I bought the vehicle from rolled the clock back 150,000 miles - check

At least I know why I've had so much trouble with this truck. It runs great now...respect. Estimated mileage is 340,000

Camelman

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Wow...some people will do anything to sell things...

The good news is...the trucks can last a long time if you are taking care of it...I know the high mileage scares some people away but I've bought a few high mileage ones that served me well...

Woodtroll

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Holy Cow! Wonder how the DMV did not catch this? What state are you in?

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ya, seems strange to me too. I'm in California. I'll register a complaint with the DMV next week. Not expecting much though.

Mazda

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DMV will not catch that usually. To much back and forth between the smog check station and the DMV registration department. Especially if it was renewed by internet or the mail for several smog cycles. The computer just cares that the truck passes and then the computer spits out a tag.

I would not assume "fraud" right away. Have a very good friend that owns a Smog Test Only Station here in Southern Cal that I have used for 10 years now. 2 years ago one of his techs entered the wrong millage on my dads truck. We caught it two months later because he was trying to get a reduced insurance rate because he only drives that truck maybe 1000 miles a year. The only millage the insurance company will go by is the smog reports but they do not automatically get that info from the DMV, you have to supply it.

Any really a complaint. 3 people I do not mess with

1. My Girlfriend
2. IRS
3. DMV

LOL

Bryan

camelman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I got the insurance quote back yesterday. GEICO will pay out $3750 including taxes and fees for registration for my truck. It is a very generous quote (imagine a farm truck with 350,000 miles on it), so I guess I came out ahead. As long as the engine doesn't give out it is prepped for another 300,000!! :)

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
DMV will not catch that usually. To much back and forth between the smog check station and the DMV registration department. Especially if it was renewed by internet or the mail for several smog cycles. The computer just cares that the truck passes and then the computer spits out a tag.

I would not assume "fraud" right away. Have a very good friend that owns a Smog Test Only Station here in Southern Cal that I have used for 10 years now. 2 years ago one of his techs entered the wrong millage on my dads truck. We caught it two months later because he was trying to get a reduced insurance rate because he only drives that truck maybe 1000 miles a year. The only millage the insurance company will go by is the smog reports but they do not automatically get that info from the DMV, you have to supply it.

Any really a complaint. 3 people I do not mess with

1. My Girlfriend
2. IRS
3. DMV

LOL

Bryan
Depends on the state.

I got the insurance quote back yesterday. GEICO will pay out $3750 including taxes and fees for registration for my truck. It is a very generous quote (imagine a farm truck with 350,000 miles on it), so I guess I came out ahead. As long as the engine doesn't give out it is prepped for another 300,000!! :)
Yeah, I think I would take that and run, :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals