• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Brake Rubbing; Help ASAP Please!

AnahRabekka1501

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
So a few years ago the emergency brake was ruined due to someone (I won’t admit to it!) driving the truck with the parking brake engaged. I know, I know, ruined the driver side drum. We replaced it with junkyard components, and everything was good, the parking brake remained disconnected.

Jump to now, reconnected the parking brake, what a bitch that was, three people pulling at once, over two hours, we finally got it. Jump in the truck, on an incline, engage that sucker to the floor, and what do you know? Nada. No parking brake. Well, that’s okay, I just need to get new brake shoes and do a spring rebuild! Well, after all that (took me 5 hours, broke two nails and had a bruised knuckle for a bit), I still have, wait for it... NO PARKING BRAKE!

Well, that’s okay, I just need a new parking brake cable! Easy enough! But my issue now isn’t even with the parking brake! My driver side shoes are rubbing incredibly when braking below 25MPH. At higher speeds, there’s zero sign of issue. And it doesn’t rub when driving! So please, please tell me that I just need to get a flat head and loosen up the brake shoe adjuster but thing down there. I’m going crazy. I know I’m not the most Ranger-savvy girl out there, but dear god it shouldn’t be this much of an issue.

Thanks in advance!
~Anah

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Anah:

Drum brakes are supposed to be set really close (one of the biggest reason why people think discs are better than drums is when drums don't self adjust, they aren't near as effective). So, if anything, I would tighten up the passenger drum, not loosen the driver's.

Now, the above assumes everything in system is working: No issues with water/rust in brake fluid, no stuck piston in the brake cylinders, parking brake cables slide freely, etc, etc.

Can you take a picture of your parking brake cable routing? I just want to double check...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals