• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

dana super 30 or dana 35 front axle? confused.

livetoride21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a question concerning the front differentials on second generation ford explorers. I know that the second gen explorers have a dana 35 front differential, but where things get confusing is the 2/3 gen ford explorer 2 door sport. 2001-2003. in 02 (from my research, the 4 door switched to the DANA super 30 front differential, basically a 35 with smaller carrier and same shafts, but did the 2 door as well being that it still had essentially the same drive train as the second gens, but an updated body? If anyone can chime in that owns an 02 sport 2 door as to what front differential is underneath, it would be greatly appreciated. Same goes for an 01 4 door, as some of the charts say even it has a "super 30"

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ive never heard of this, im not to up on the 2000+ rigs, but as far as i know every explorer had a dana 35 front even after the ttb went to ifs, it was just a bit weaker dana 35.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
The 3rd/4th-gens ('02-'10 4-door) did switch to a D30 front.

I'm not aware of '02-'03 Sports (still 2nd-gen) using anything else besides the D35 they've always had since '95.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
So I read the link on the Super 30, and it had some good information. Given the nature of this thread, I hope this won't be considered a hijack if I can ask for some clarification.

In the article, it talked about the carrier breaks, quote "3.55 & 3.73 is the carrier break. So if you wanted to add 4.10 gears, you would need a carrier that had 3.73 gears. You couldn't put 4.10 gears in a carrier that originally had 3.73 gears."

Is it just me, or do the last 2 sentences seem to contradict each other? Did they mean 3.55 instead of 3.73 in the last sentence? (which I suspect is what happened)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals