• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First Generation - Replacing Floppy Sun Visors

blairdeee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Original Poster: blairdeee

Difficulty: 2 out of 10

Cost: $20-$60

Time to install: 1 hour

Disclaimer: The Ranger Station.com, The Ranger Station.com Staff, nor the original poster are responsible for you doing this modification to your vehicle. By doing this modification and following this how-to you, the installer, take full responsibility if anything is damaged or messed up. If you have questions, feel free to PM the original poster or ask in the appropriate section of The Ranger Station.com forums.

Brief Explanation: The 1983-1988 Ford Rangers had Terrible sun visors that had no clip at the end. After a few years, This caused them to flop around while driving. Mine were smacking me in the head on a regular basis. This is how to install basically any 1989-2012 Ford Ranger Sun Visors. (My research tells me they all should work, let me know if this is not correct) I used visors out of a 2003. This would be a great modification for people who drive off-road.

Tools Needed:
- Philips #2 screw driver
- Drill
- 1/16 drill bit
- #8, 1-1/4" screws x2 (measure yours first!)
- black paint (optional)

Parts Needed:
- Replacement sun visors AND matching clips

---------------------------------------------------------

Steps 1:

Remove the three screw holding each visor in place

Steps 2:

OPTIONAL. In my truck the original visor brackets were chrome, but the replacement visors where black, so I painted the heads of the screws removed in step 1 so the would matched the new bracket.

Steps 3:

The new visor bracket should be the same as the original and will install easy using the screws.

Steps 4:

With the replacement visors installed and the clip on the visor, flip the visor up so it is touching the head liner. Measure or eyeball where the clip should be located. The spike on the end of the clip should push through the headliner until it is flush with the headliner. MAKE SURE THE OPEN SIDE OF THE CLIP IS FACING OUT.

Steps 5:

There is a layer of metal before you hit the roof. Drill a pilot hole through this first layer. Be careful not to drill a hole through your roof!

Steps 6:

I tried different lengths of screws and ending up using a #8 pan head 1-1/4" screw Given the flex in the headliner this may differ from truck to truck so test fit, then install the clip.

Steps 7:

Enjoy your fancy new visors :) mine even had a mirror.

I'm new to the Ranger Station so I hope you found this useful.

Last edited:

aron123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
yamaha
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for share...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals