• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

99 3.0 Fuel Guage acting up

08hybridok

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So bought the truck in December, been doing some minor repairs; and had everything working (except the delayed oil gauge).

But I noticed once in a while the fuel gauge would be off, like I'd park at night with 1/2 tank, go to work in the morning with nearly full tank (I know I ain't lucky enough to get a visit from a gas fairy!) I blamed the temp changes; and it seemed to go away.

Now the last few weeks the gauge is way off. Fill up it's over Full, and stays there for ~100 mi. At about 200mi & 3/8-just short of 1/2 tank I filled up, took 16.5gal (so ~3gal left).

I connected my ScanGuage (An odbii reader) set to read fuel level, and it's just blank; so I'm guess ing this truck doesn't send that info on ODBii, or I need to tweak the settings.

So I start searching here, and all the posts say to pull a yellow/white wire near the tank, under the drivers door. When I crawl under there, all I see is a pair of connectors, in a Y shape, behind a plastic bracket. Some kind of wires going to what ever is in front of the fuel filter (little old master cylinder looking thing).

I also took the cluster out, pulled the anti-slosh unit out.

I obviously didn't find the right things to short because it never went to empty. with the anti-slosh unit out it read ~1/2 tank. I put an ohm meter on the R's in the unit, I think they read 1k, 3k, 500 (R1, R2, R3).

I think I have all the tools necessary to test everything outside the tank; I just don't know where to stick them!

Does anyone have pics/youtube of how I need to test? Was the big block of wires under neath the correct set to try to ground the yellow/white (top left wire)

Thanks for any help

Just found a video for a 90 SHO, says to cover the 3 terminals & short the 2 on the slosh unit, Did that and it dropped to 1/4 tank. Still covering the 3, un shorted, read just under 1/2.

Key on/run Over full (pegged?), Key off, ~1/8 under full.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals