• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Looking at an `89 Bronco II

RBS

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Hey all, I joined up here to research mods to my potential next vehicle, and thought I would post up for ideas/criticism.

My fiancé`s brother has an `89 baby Bronco with a five speed tranny in full power trim. He drove it for like six months while he fixed his jeep. It has a cracked windshield, the clutch is going(more on that later), small exhaust leak in the engine bay, the window motors don`t work, the rear body mount crossmember is rusted out(strangely not much other rust), and the inside smells like a dog that has been wet for a month. I am trying to negotiate it for $400 or less.

On the plus side it is stick shift(a must for me), the 4x4 works, and it is relatively unmolested. It is a two tone tan/brown with a sealed sunroof. Runs pretty good :icon_thumby:

I have friends in a mechanics class that can fix the major issues for just parts cost if I can get it to them soon. The clutch is what worries me. It does`t seem to slip, but releases high. Two main suspects now are a worn clutch disc or a leaky slave. The guy runs vehicles hard, so anything is possible.

Now, for the fun stuff:

I plan on stripping the carpet and headliner immediately, possibly most of the trim panels.
The defunct A/C system is next to go.
Eventually swap to manual doors/windows with the little vent window, and make the doors pinned for easy removal.
Small lift(~2" suspension, with a 1" body spacer when I fix the mounts) and 31-33" tires.
Tube bumpers(not pre-runner style, more like large single tube), and sliders.
I would like to run in the summer with a ranger tailgate, and no doors most days. If I can nail down the rumors of pulling the side glass on later B2`s I will do that too.
Somewhere down the list is a glass headlight conversion, and assorted odds and ends(lights, etc).

End goal on this for me is a fun summer/wheeling vehicle, that I can use as a winter driver and 4x4. I have an old BMW that I need to keep out of the salt next winter, which is a great excuse to get something like this to beat around in :D

Any input is appreciated. Thanks,
Jake

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm a little against destroying these disappearing treasures so I would recommend not altering it too much. These can go for a lot of money on Ebay if they are close to original.

A B2 has a small wheelbase and can go places on 31s that a Ranger needs 35s to keep up. Even on stock tires it can scramble over pretty much anything. To fit 31s you need 3" of lift. It isn't cheap to do a real lift on it. I would fix the clutch and drive it stock. It's a kick-ass truck as it is. Mine embarrassed many full-size 4x4s with lifts when it was riding on stock 28" tires. The cool thing about the B2 was the little wheelbase that made it able to do almost anything as it came from the factory.

RBS

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Will, I can agree with how you feel on this. This particular bronco would end up in the junkyard if left up to most people. The interior is trashed, windshield needs replaced, on and on. If it were nice I would just drive it as is. I only want like 3" of lift between suspension and body(2" suspension preferred), which with fender trimming should, I think, clear 31's. I can also appreciate the short wheel base thing.

I had a samurai that was lifted too high(with almost no flex) and had removable doors. It was the non-removable hard top model. It would go about anywhere and was a sweet truck. Probably should`t have sold it though. I am thinking this bronco would be a good candidate for a similar but more practical vehicle.

I don`t know where the other post went, but there was a point to be had about the RBVs not being designed to be used without doors. Neither was my samurai, but if I kept the truck cleaned out and wore my seatbelt it was fine. Bolt some mirrors to the fenders and you are good to go :icon_thumby:

For the record, I am not out to find a Bronco II to destroy. I just happened across one I can get for cheap that is a great start to what I want and is far enough gone that I won`t feel bad :icon_cheers:

forgey4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l both
Transmission
Manual
I have an 89 bronco 2 that is exact same colors, I always wanted to make the top removeable

RBS

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
A soft top conversion would be sweet, but would step it up in complexity for me. I wouldn`t feel comfortable hacking the roof off without a cage. Put one of those in and I would think about it.

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Theres a thread here somewhere on making some half doors, and sills can be beefed up easily.

and Welcome to TRS

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
I can see where Will is coming from... However as much as it pains me to say, I don't think a Bronco II will ever achieve the same collector status as say, the old 1st-gen Broncos have. Shame too because they are nearly as modifiable and will last just the same if taken care of. Might as well take advantage of it though, as there are few similar deals out there right now for vehicles that need only a minimum of work to be superb trail rigs. :icon_thumby:

As for your clutch, it's normal for the clutch pedal to ride a little higher than the brake pedal on these rigs. If that's what you are dealing with, then it's probably nothing to worry about since you said it's not slipping.
A common issue I've seen with the power window motors is the main gear has (I guess) like a torque release clutch in them that fails, causing the motor to free-run. Apparently this was the case on mine as when I took one of them apart to lubricate it I found the spaces for the clutch innards had been filled in with 1/4" or 5/16" hex nuts that were crushed to fit in there. Whatever... I just left them in there, as it seems to work fine lol.

RBS

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I can see where Will is coming from... However as much as it pains me to say, I don't think a Bronco II will ever achieve the same collector status as say, the old 1st-gen Broncos have. Shame too because they are nearly as modifiable and will last just the same if taken care of. Might as well take advantage of it though, as there are few similar deals out there right now for vehicles that need only a minimum of work to be superb trail rigs. :icon_thumby:

As for your clutch, it's normal for the clutch pedal to ride a little higher than the brake pedal on these rigs. If that's what you are dealing with, then it's probably nothing to worry about since you said it's not slipping.
A common issue I've seen with the power window motors is the main gear has (I guess) like a torque release clutch in them that fails, causing the motor to free-run. Apparently this was the case on mine as when I took one of them apart to lubricate it I found the spaces for the clutch innards had been filled in with 1/4" or 5/16" hex nuts that were crushed to fit in there. Whatever... I just left them in there, as it seems to work fine lol.
Probably not, which is sad. But it is the same story with vintage muscle and newer muscle cars. They just will never be the same to collectors.

I know about where the clutch should release, and this one is too high. Like, it doesn't grab at all until the last inch or so of travel. All the ford power windows of this era have a little plastic planetary gear set in them that likes to disintegrate. I want manual windows anyway :icon_twisted:

I guess I should give you guys my experience with ranger based vehicles, may be interesting for some. My second car was an Eddie Bauer '91 explorer 2wd. I loved that truck, and it got me started wrenching. I was 17 and mom didn't trust me to do the intake gaskets, so she scrapped it.

Fast forward a couple years, I was in college and I decided I wanted a truck. Ran across a deal on a '90 Ranger. Short bed, super base model(no headliner and manual steering:icon_confused:). Somebody had transplanted an '85 SVO stang engine into it with parts from an '89 turbocoupe. Tuned up and running 18 psi through a five speed it was stupid fast for a ranger. Tried to kill me a few times, so I traded it off.

-Jake

Spede Demn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'85
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Ive had 3 manual tranny rbv's and all the clutches work near the top of the pedal throw, and they aren't adjustable. A new clutch and pressure plate wont help much either. If your clutch starts to work near the bottom of the throw near the floor... then you have a problem on its way.

Titon727

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have had 4 B2's. They will fit 31's stock. I have 31x10.5x15's on my 89 now. You will need aftermarket wheels to make them not rub on sharp turns. They look good and improve your stance for rollover purposes. I would never cut the fenders. If you have one that is already trashed I guess it wouldn't hurt but dont do it to a nice one. Too many of these things going to the scrap yard now a days because people cant take care of their vehicles. Just sold an 88' in good condition for 4,000. They are gaining value very quickly. I would suggest a high flow air system and a nice exhaust. Makes all the difference in the world when they can breath.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals