• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

95 5.0 expo-ranger build thread

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Blue streak pearl.... New Dodge color

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a problem with my cruise not working and i have a hunch its my LED tail lights causing the problem. Also noticed my brake lights barely glow when the ignition is on. Tips anyone?

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Also I been reading and i think i broke the 1-2 accumulator spring. Older lady owned the expo and she babied it so burnouts and such..... It's not used to lol. The problem is it shifts hard and kinda.....unconsistant???? Just feels weird almost like you hit a pothole or it axle hops when it hits 2nd. Only does it when your romping on it decently hard. Driving easy it shifts smooth

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Check the switch on the brake master cylinder, its only job is to disengage cc. On the trans, do a filter & fluid change, and reset the ecu...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I tried the switch on the master cylinder with no luck. Cruise worked in the ranger and in the Explorer before the swap btw.
On the Trans, the fluid and filter was changed around 1-2k miles ago and the fluid has been changed twice during the swap.... once when the swap was done and half the fluid was changed after that because my exhaust guy took a grinder to my Trans line to create a weak spot so the line would blow so he could run metal lines.... yes you just read that right. I was blown away also.[emoji35]

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I got the cruise control working! I swapped cruise buttons with some that the covers wasn't broke and i thought what the heck I'll take it for a drive and check it and lo and behold the cruise started working!!! Also my brake lights don't glow dim anymore with the key forward!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
So she made her voyage pulling my boat on the fishing trip. She has almost 1200 miles on her now and got a few kill stories already lol except for the neon orange custom built chopper..... that dude was fast as i expected but still had fun trying!
Only problem i ran into on vacation was in heavy traffic pulling my boat she got a little warm but when my sabatoged tranny line blew it sprayed tranny fluid all over my cooling fans causing the top one to quit. It started working again but i wonder if it isn't intermitently working and stopped during that rush hour traffic causing my engine to run warm. I'm gonna keep an eye on it.

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Figured out my over heat issue (only done it once in stop an go traffic pulling a boat)!! The polarity was reversed on my Cooling fans causing them to push air instead of pulling it.

One question!! I for see a sct tuner in my near future. Which one should I buy and how much timing can I run on 93 octane?
Btw she has around 2200 miles on her now!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Found a set of 03 Cobra wheels and tires to put on the truck. Still not what I was hoping for but way nicer looking than my plasti dipped GT wheels.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
Either the X4 or the livewire ts, the livewire ts will give you a display for gauges...

SVT

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on a tuner. Got the cash on hand just wanna spend it right. [emoji106] Couple questions before I pull the trigger.

1) What all benefits does the livewire have over the X4?
2) Do i need to order from a speed shop to get custom tunes for a 97 Explorer? (That's what motor and PCM I'm running)
3) Been throwing around the idea of switching over to a distributor ignition for extra power...how much power would I gain from that plus a custom tune over the DIS?

Thanks in advance!
P.S. I've got around 5 k on her now and no isssues! Headed to pull n pay after a 4:10 posi this morning. Ditching the 3:08 one wheel wonder!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Scored a super tight 4:10 posi with discs and 31 splines today. Prob stock it in tomorrow morning!

5ohRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Swapped the 4:10 in this morning. Truck came from Georgia and had zero rust so everything came apart like it was new! Dropped the springs and put the axle in on top to lower the rear of the truck. As soon as she's on the ground I'm gonna take a look at it and if she sits to low I'll order some lift shackles for it. Parking brakes hooked up without a problem and couldn't tell it from a factory install! New parking brake shoes and new pads will go on tomorrow. When I did the V8 swap I had to shorten the driveshaft.... well now it's too long again since the axle sits higher, so it'll get dropped off tomorrow to get another inch and a half taken out of it then I'll be ready to take her for a spin [emoji106]

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You'll love changing those parking brake shoes, gotta pull the axles for the job!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals