• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

explorer?

treel98

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 for now
Transmission
Automatic
anyone know what if any year explorer are full time 4x4

friend thinks they are but i dont know

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All of the v8 explorers are awd I'm pretty sure all the 4.0 versions are part time.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
95-end of production had AWD as an option. As a generalization swynx is correct about the split on the engines from 95 to 2001. My BIL has a 2002 V8 with selectable 4x4, and last year I did a torque converter seal on an 08 Mountaineer with a V6 AWD, so there are exceptions to the rule in the later years.

Frankly, the Explorer AWD sucked. It was the worst system Ford tried to use. It wasn't even a true center differential system, it was just a transfer case permanently locked in 4-hi, so if even one of your tires is just a little off from the others it hops and bucks and won't even drive in a straight line and then things blow up. I would not want an AWD Explorer.

ab_slack

TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Frankly, the Explorer AWD sucked. It was the worst system Ford tried to use. It wasn't even a true center differential system, it was just a transfer case permanently locked in 4-hi, so if even one of your tires is just a little off from the others it hops and bucks and won't even drive in a straight line and then things blow up. I would not want an AWD Explorer.
With that it should buck around turns even with all tires matched as the rear won't exactly track the front in a turn and net shaft turns will be different. I can't see how they got away with it.

My 02 Explorer with V8 us not AWD. It is labeled 4WD. The 4WD can't be turned completely off. 2WD has auto 4WD. Basically acts like a traction control system and when slip is detected it switches into 4WD. I notice it kicking in mostly during wet weather when accelerating and especially when accelerating while turning (like pulling out from a cross street). Also when in the snow, if I haven't already shifted into 4WD it will kick in regularly. Makes a clunk when it does this.

For similar model years I have only seen the AWD badge on mountaineers

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Actually, it can work quite well. It's just VERY picky. I have 4 tires that are spot on on my BII and no working 4x4 indicators. I have forgotten it was in 4-hi and driven to work on dry roads without noticing several times.

There is also a viscous coupler in the AWD t-case, to allow for some slip, but that doesn't make is a center diff. And those couplers like to burn up.

The 4x4-auto is better, but almost as dumb. It's t-case doesn't have a viscous coupler, and if one of the wheel speed sensors dies (happens often when the wheel bearings go, and that happens often as well) it assumes wheel slip and locks in 4x4. I have seen several Explorers towed in over bad wheel speed sensors because they couldn't be driven. The people thought the front end or the trans was about to blow up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals