• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4wd to 2wd B2

carbedcobra93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am buying a 90 b2 4wd. I plan on driving it for a few months and then starting a 302 convertion. I have whole doner mustang so thats done. Just want to know if 2wd b2 or ranger front suspention will bolt in?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2wd suspension will bolt right in, most guys use that feature the other way though... :D

Most 2wd BII's use a dummy t-case, so a factory driveshaft will more than likely be out if you wanted to go that route.

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It depends on what year B-II he uses as a donor. My 90 B-II 2wd didnt come with the dummy t-case.

heh, where you located? I'll just trade you rigs. I get your 4wd 90, and you get my 2wd 90. Problem solved!

Tedybear

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994, 2001
Make / Model
1994 Ford Bronc
Engine Size
5.8v8
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Failing is easy. Everyone can do it.
LOL. Good one guys. I've the 89 with that dummy transfer case. "Sweet Operation". Just an empty box with all the holes sealed over. (must be Ford's casting company had a butt load of duds)

S-

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
LOL. Good one guys. I've the 89 with that dummy transfer case. "Sweet Operation". Just an empty box with all the holes sealed over. (must be Ford's casting company had a butt load of duds)

S-
actually no, it's just that there's no such thing as a 2 wheel drive FM145/FM146 transmission

carbedcobra93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the info The 90 was sold by the time I got there but going to look at a 89 4wd tommorrow. I have been looking for a 2wd for a few months now and cant find ANY. By the way Im form lancaster pa

heptofite

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
why do you want to remove the 4wheel drive so badly?

carbedcobra93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
street/strip truck. Just want another toy to take to the track. I had a 90 ranger short bed 2wd a few years ago with stock 5.0 twin turbo. Had to sell it because bought a house. Just want to do the same thing.

ChopTop84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Id be tempted to leave the 4x4 in place. When we race the big diesel pickups, we launch in 4wd, with about 20psi of boost. I can chirp all 4 tires on my 8000lb truck on a really good launch.

In fact, the faster classes have a weight penalty if you have 4wd, because they launch so much better out of the hole.

If you could get the all wheel drive hardware out of a late model exploder, that would be pretty cool. Its not true 4wd, so there is some slippage, which might make things a little easier on the drivetrain.

carbedcobra93

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
bought the 89 b2 I went to look at. Not bad truck needs leafs/brackets and two cab mounts. Got it for 500 bucks. no awd for me, dont want this to be a long going project, but keeping the 4wd is mabe an option. will have to see
are the ranger leaf springs the same as bronco?

Ivy Mike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
AFAIK, both Ranger and Explorer leaves are a direct bolt in. The Explorer springs seem to be a bit heavier duty as most BII guys see a little lift when they put them in.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals