• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

RABS valve question

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Found an OEM valve on e-Bay for about 30 bucks w/ shipping. However, it's listed as a Brake skid control valve for a 1989 Ranger/BII. Would this fit on a 1992? He said to check the dealer for applications, but all they said was that the part number listed on e-Bay was different than the one listed for the 1992. The seller also said that it was a rear ABS valve. I just cant afford paying 130 or so bucks for one at an auto store. Thanks

rurouni20xx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic

go ahead and spend the 130 bux on the new one, the plugs are dif and the 1992 is like mine on the 1993 that fits the eec 4 fuel injected trk and is wired dif to accomodate the the newer fuel injection, the 89 used obd1 fi and the abs system is more primitive on that model, fewer wires going to it and its not as "smart" as the newer one. what type probs are you having out of your trk that you need to change the rabs valve?
i had a prob w/ my light coming on on occasion and my brake line was rubbing against the gas tank and blew the line out, if your losing brake fluid and think its the valve check that line first, i ended up routing my line all the way around the gas tank to keep it from happening cuz it happened 4 times and i got tired of fixing the crap. and if your thinking about changing it cuz the front wheels lock up its cuz they only installed the abs on the rear wheels, meaning the front will lock up anyway (stupid design in my opinion but thats how it works) and i also had a problem of the mil lamp throwing a code saying the vavle was bad when in reality it was a fuse from where my tail light wire was pinched and blew the fuse and if you look at the wiring diagram thats the fuse for all your lights and the rabs module so if its a mil lamp check the other things listed in the wiring diagram in your trusty haynes manual first, brake troubles have plagued me on my trk for yrs so i got rather knowledgable on them real quick, hope i helped you.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Jeez, write sentences. I can't parse that at all.

EVERY Ranger is either EEC-IV or EEC-V. That's a glowing-red-hot herring.

As long as both vehicles are RABS (not 4-wheel ABS), it should work fine. But BEWARE. Most used RABS valves are plugged solid with rust and will do exactly the same thing as a 50 cent brake line plug -- no rear brakes and slipping front brakes.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Guys, I checked and they have two "rear brake skid control valves" listed on Ebay presently, both new in the box. The low priced one has the description

You are bidding on one new OE Ford brake skid control valve, part number F4UZ-2B373-A. It fits 1994 Ford E150, E250 and E350 with rear abs brakes only. Buyer to pay actual shipping. Payment due withn 10 days of auction ending by paypal, cashiers check or money order. All sales final, any questions ask before bidding. Thanks for looking!

Hope this sheds some light on the issue.:icon_thumby:

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
You're aware that those are for full size vans, right? I wouldn't expect interchange. Maybe from an Aerostar.

cocoasranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks MAKG. That's why I posted the auction info so someone with your expertise could make that call. If I had the vehicle it fits I'd be tempted to snap it up as a spare since they are so pricey.

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Here's what my situation is guys,
I start the old goat up, drive it and I can count about 3 or 4 brake applications before the Rear Anti-lock and the brake light both light up, and after that, every time I come to a stop, the rear brakes lock up at around 5 mph, which has me to believe that the RABS valve is somehow stuck in an open position as I read somewhere in a previous post. As I looked underneath, I noticed that the rear brake line was severely corroded but no leaks, and the RABS valve was very corroded as well. I had a couple of offers (thanks guys) on a used Valve, but then I noticed that the pic of the valve out of this one guys 91 Ranger looked identical to the N.O.S. valve for a 89 Ranger listed on e-Bay for about $30 shipping included. So I'm taking a chance with that one. BTW, he has one more listed on e-Bay if anyones interested. Sorry for being long winded.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
i would throw it away unless your manually running it for burn outs.

never like the rabs...didnt think it worked good enough to put money into it..

the oval 4 prongs are all the same too iirc.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
There is more to RABS than the valve. There is a (lengthy) procedure for diagnosing it. See the Ford chassis service manual, or the Mitchell book (try the library).

PANTERA

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
What else should I be looking for? Something electrical? Speed sensor? I surfed all the previous threads in the brakes section, and could only pinpoint it to the Rabs valve.
Seems like people aren't a big fan of the RABS system and I'm beginning to see why! Lol.
Anyhow, seeing that my rear brake line looks like it came out of the Titanic, I gotta change that out so for $30 I figured I'd chance it and put that N.O.S. valve in and see if that is (hopefully) the cause, if not then...

ford2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hello all, I had the brake mechanic tell me that my ABS control valve is bad. He tried to bleed the rear brakes on my 93 Ford Ranger 2wd, and showed me tha0t it was just trickling out fluid, where the front spurted out normally. He narrowed it down to the ABS hydraulic control valve. I don't understand why my ABS light is not staying on to show me there is a problem? Shouldn't it stay on if the valve is not working? Also, he went to napa to order the part and it's $235! Is there a place I can find it cheaper? Ford wants over $400 for it! Whew! Could it be just sticking? This is the first time I have had the brake fluid changed since I bought the truck new back in 93.

ford2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Never mind, found the ABS hydraulic valve new, for $90 at an auto parts store, after some searching online. It comes with a lifetime warranty. Had it installed :icon_welder: and now the rear brakes are working great.

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
Frankly I follow the remove and discard thought on that half-assed RABS system.

Even when it works it's more annoying than useful.

AD

Art92gt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am having the same issue, no fluid to the rear brakes. ford2, I can't same to find the part for anywhere near that price. Summit has a similar looking part, but it is not linked to the Ranger. Could you post where ya got it?
Thanks!

N_flames

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Ford brakes

My friend had brake trouble on his ford,pedal would slowly bleed down to the floor.Replaced master cyl that didnt help ,ck & bleed brake system,still the same problem. Priced the RABS valve at Ford dealer they wanted $472. I took the line fittings off the old ABS valve cleaned them & welded them together.Worked GR8 for coupling the line together,problem solved. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals