• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

M5OD grinding/gear slapping sound on deceleration

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L swap, 8.8 explorer axle, IFS front end
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you ain't first you're last
Hi everyone swapped a 4.0 and m5od in my b2 from a donor Explorer. Drove the explorer around for a hundred miles and then stole parts from it. The trans/t case never made any odd sounds in the Explorer but now that they are in the bronco there is a very bad grinding sound on deceleration. Starts happening in fourth and gets very bad in fifth. Throw it in neutral and it’ll make the sound all the way until about 10mph. Won’t make the sound if I never get out of third. There are absolutely no sounds on accel at all.

I did have to tap the t case onto the trans output shaft for whatever reason when installing (ya I know I shouldn’t have). and now the Only thing I can think of is I must’ve ruined a bushing or something in the trans and the gears are sliding on each other... or the shift rail is somehow misaligned. no clue what’s going on. Have done a couple drain and fills on both the trans and t case and neither has had any metal come out-I’m using valvoline max life atf.

Another thing, the rear shaft is short (being a b2) and is a single cardan with 1330 u joints. The angle is steep but I don’t have driveline vibe. The 2.9/fm145 setup that I had in it before never made any sounds until I lifted/sas’d the rig-it too made the same sounds and had the exact same symptoms. Don’t know if maybe driveline angle has any play in this. Maybe I should take the rear driveline off and see what happens (seems far fetched though).

Thoughts, or anyone with personal experience of this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
My guess is the thrust bearing and the pocket bearing between the input and output shaft are in bad shape or destroyed, then the added force you added by forcing the output forward has now added stress....but it shouldnt make noise in 4th if that was the case.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
At either rate trans has gotta come out. Wouldn’t think the tcase would cause such a noise, right?

cp2295

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Also do you know of a reputable company to get a rebuild kit from online? I don’t wanna buy some eBay China crap if im gonna do it.

PlumCrazy

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
2014 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Cobtatransmission.com has all OEM suppliers

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals