• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally, my official project truck

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
After months and months of searching craigslist.. I found a truck! 1999 reg cab 3.0 auto.. 142k on the ticker for $400! Doesn't run and gave no idea why.. yet! Not that it matters..
Will be a 331 5 speed on the bottle or blower..

Last edited:

CajunPwnStar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Looking at putting in a 331 N/A in my '95 as soon as I get a new daily truck. Who knows though, may end up with a blower on it lol

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
If I can find the right brackets.. I will go with the blower. I will be replacing thenbed with a stepside more than likely.. New fenders bumpers.. Carpet seats. Ect.... Problem with me was finding a rust free truck for cheap.. Man these little trucks are expensive! !

Its still at the previous owners house.. Picking it up Saturday.

Last edited:

CajunPwnStar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I lucked up and got a rust free one that still ran damn good for $450 lol. Couple minor things needed fixing. Looking to drop a step-side as well. Going for more of a show type build, so a lot of things will be replaced haha

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
WOW!! I couldn't even font a blown up on me for under $800! Then all of a sudden I found 3. 2 98's that were beat to death with over 250k miles then I found this one. So I jumped on it l real it fast. Plan is to just build a nice clean street truck and everyday driver travel truck using a 99 expo/neer block and harness.use stock pieces as much as possible throughout the swap other than the go fast stuff.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looked at your build thread.. I'm going with an expo efi motor.. if I wasn't .. would be using your setup if I was going carbed

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
I am subscribing to see what parts and pieces you end up using. I was considering a 331 with the Explorer harness and ECM but could not find what I considered affordable parts for the 331 combination. The problem is an affordable stroker crank with a 50 oz balance. I guess you can use a 28 oz crank and have a 28 oz balancer made with the crank position sensor ring. Seems like I did find a company to make one but decided the price was a bit high. Any how, good luck with the combo and keep us all up to date.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well.. the truck was a bucket! Guy gave me back my deposit once I found out it had been wrecked. So back to the drawing board.. on the look out for another truck. I am so confused though on this wiring. I have read and read and re-read. Is it easier to do a 4 cly or v6 ranger as far as using the v8 expo /neer harness.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well...a small update. The gold truck I was going to buy turned out to be a bucket. I have been on craigslist everyday looking basically south of the Mason Dixie Line for a rust free truck. Reason is just about everything north has rust or will very soon. That's part of life living in the north. I'm from Florida and have been in the show me state for about 7 years now and I guess Ill never get use to the rust issues they(we) have here. Anyway...

Going to Florida to pick up a White 99 reg cab stepside flex fuel 3.0 auto with ALL options (including a blown headgasket..��) Which is what I wanted to begin with. One that doesn't run for cheap. Got it for $400. Almost ding free to! Power windows locks tilt cruise all that stuff. I found only 2 others that was in my price range for a toy... Just could never get ahold of the people.

Being a 99 v6 truck, Ill be using a 99-01 expo/need wiring engine swap for basically plug and play. HOWEVER... I may use a 90-93 mustang 5.0 harness swap to because putting a supercharger on is not out of the question yet. My old 91 coupe I built had a306 5 speed with a Vortech S-Trim(18lbs boost) trick flow heads cam intake 42 lbs injectors with methanol injection. Did 525hp to the rear tires .
And got 17mpg on the highway with Ac. I can't find any info on a blower for a explorer in the 96-01 years.

Pics of the truck when I get back next week.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Here is the truck.. 99 XLT with all options.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes J... Its almost mint. Basically twin to your truck.,actually it is.Im going to paint it to match my F350...

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
You can tune a blower on an Explorer computer and harness. Look at Tweecer.com

There are no blower kits for the Explorer anymore. The Mustang kits do not cross over as there is a big difference in how far away from the block the accessories run. I think it might be easier to run a roots type blower for a Stang and adapt it.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You can tune a blower on an Explorer computer and harness. Look at Tweecer.com

There are no blower kits for the Explorer anymore. The Mustang kits do not cross over as there is a big difference in how far away from the block the accessories run. I think it might be easier to run a roots type blower for a Stang and adapt it.
Well the plan is to build.or have someone build an adapter plate and mount it on the Gt40 lower.. run the Eaton m112. Seen another guy who done this and flipped around the stock pulley and it actually lined up with the expo belt and accessories. That's the route I'm going to go. He's only seeing 6-8 lbs but I need/ want to be around 12lbs.

Blown

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well the plan is to build.or have someone build an adapter plate and mount it on the Gt40 lower.. run the Eaton m112. Seen another guy who done this and flipped around the stock pulley and it actually lined up with the expo belt and accessories. That's the route I'm going to go. He's only seeing 6-8 lbs but I need/ want to be around 12lbs.
Cool, That is good information.

I'd ike to have a blown Classic Bronco with Exploder engine. The shorter explorer engine fits well in the classic Bronco. I ran a Kenne Bell on a full size Bronco and then on an F150 both with GT40 lower. The bronc I stroked out to 393 and it was a major stump puller and rock crawler. I was able to get the blower off ebay and it was made for a Lightning. They are hard to find now and I should never have sold it.

12lbs of boost will require cooling or it will predetonate on pump gas.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals