• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1994 347/c4 build -project- rebel rouser

prymetime1

Reaction score
So in preparation for working on the truck this weekend, I ordered up the 1994 explorer 2 core rad. Got it from advanced auto n coupon brought it down to 89 bucks:

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
It will tuck good brotha . Good price for sure

I just wanna go fast [emoji48]

prymetime1

Reaction score
Just a quick friday update....stopped at rents on way home to check out the radiator that was delivered yesterday.

Have alot mapped out, hoping to get it all done so I can possibly take the delux out for a real drive on sunday. Calling for a nice weekend here so I'm guns blazing.
I know it's repetitive but here's what I plan on tackling tomorrow :
1. get radiator in along with temperature sensor adapter
2. Get exhaust hanged under there.
3. Install gauges, gas, volt, temp & oil pressure.
4. Switch heater core hoses, looks like hell crossing over the engine
5. Tighten up oil pressure line, ish is leaking against block.
5. Loom wiring under hood,
6. Bolt hood back on
7. Bolt clutch pedal the floor.
8. Cut tool box for gas door and secure to bed, using studs from under side.
9. Clean it.

Ono.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
1994 347/c4 build -project name pending

That looks just like the radiator I have man . Mine came out of a 98 4.0 Mazda pickup with a 2 row Which is the same as the expo's from what I can see . Thats the reason I used cause it's longer then what my stock 94 4.0 2 row radiator that came in my truck . But I think you good . You hacked your core support like me . Did you remove that lower guard also ? Can't what to see how the exhaust plays out I wanna see pics of that

prymetime1

Reaction score
That looks just like the radiator I have man . Mine came out of a 98 4.0 Mazda pickup with a 2 row Which is the same as the expo's from what I can see . Thats the reason I used cause it's longer then what my stock 94 4.0 2 row radiator that came in my truck . But I think you good . You hacked your core support like me . Did you remove that lower guard also ? Can't what to see how the exhaust plays out I wanna see pics of that

Hey dude, I did hack it up alil...the two lower holes are still there, the middle was rotted so that's what I cut.
I'm pretty sure I have some angle iron at my dad's to possibly use for a lower support. Figure it out as I go hahaha.
Any advice?

The exhaust, man it needs it....gettin tired of not being able to hear my dad talking me when it idling, I'm just piecing it together from what I got. I'll take pics for sure. The driver side header collector is super close to the trans crossmenber. that's another obstacle I have to get over.
Stay tuned tho, hoping to get a shit ton done tomorrow.

prymetime1

Reaction score
So today's progress was slowed down due to some obstacles.
The radiator is bigger and doesn't bolt right in. Cutting out the lower support is necessary.
I got some of it out but the 10 yr old Dewalt 18 volt tools are not holding charge anymore. Packs are probably shot so that halted me on hacking shit up.
Also ran into issues with driver side colletor. It's pretty much sitting on the cross member.
I'm guna have to get crafty with what I have to cut up and use.
I did pretty much get my guages all set, they came out decent. I'll have pics tomorrow.
Since I got held up on some ish today , I figured take a step back n go shopping for some tools.
So, I stocked up on a few things.
Got a pipe expander so I can hopefully piece the shit together, along with new 19.2 volt lithium craftsman set and some other odds n ends to help build by tool box.

While out, I also picked up some metal flat stock to use for a new lower rad support. And some, I think,18g sheet metal to cover the shifter hole.

Hopefully get a longer day at it tomorrow.
Ono

prymetime1

Reaction score
Oh, and this is the exhaust I have to work with:

With new said tools, hoping to be able to hang it tomorrow. I'll snap pics along the way. Doing one side at a time.

prymetime1

Reaction score
Sun lights gone so here's my quick update.

Rad is just about done, just need to get a joint pipe to get my lower hose connected.
I cut everthing out on the bottom n sides, this gave a hella room in there.

I used the flat stock to make a new lower support, basic but works for additional support, it also allowed me to pull the bottom towards the front on the truck for a little more room between the crank pully.

I cut some pieces of exhaust but didn't get anything hung, the first pipe I went to expand broke the pipe expander. POS.
So that's where I am today.

Snapped some pics since we love pics.

Here's my tach on the dash

These may get moved down the road but for now are fine here:

84FreakRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
LOOKS good brother, that is a tight fit between the pulley and rad. I have a fan on my pulley. thinking about going to electric fan down the road after the holidays.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
1994 347/c4 build -project name pending

You did chop it up like me lol except you didn't chop the top core support . Think that's why your close to the pump still . I'm gain about a 1 1/2 going under the support . My my lower support sets lower then yours by like 2-3 inches . Sets almost level with my lower Valence.but Now we can fit anything back there . Plus it looks really mean went you can see this big ass radiator core through the front bumper /grill area . Looking good brotha . Also if your expander does t work just use a hammer and bevel the edges and just butt it up .

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I chopped this out:

Then moved radiator down and forward--this is what mt Explorer FEAD and electric fan looked like:

I built a new bottom brace for the core support and welded it in:

Then I decided to use the stock Explorer fan and a 4.0 shroud and that works just fine:

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
It's also depends how low or high the motor sets . But yours with oem fan is pretty awesome I must say .

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well today I managed a few hours on the truck in between work.
I got the rad all done, works well.
Got gauges set up. Tach works right with msd. Oil pressure is good, temp is good, but my volt gauge n gas gauge are not functioning.
Got my hood back on.
Tightened up oil feed, no leak now.
Took it out for a ride and got some gas.
On the ride I noticed the trans doesnt want to shift 1-2-3. If I go 1-2, 2-3 it works so not sure what the issue is. I do know its leaking like a mofo so it's going into a shop to be gone over as soon as possible. New seals and whatever else it may need. It feels strong in each gear and pulls like whoa, so I really can't wait to get that done.
Rolling round open header style caught some eyes today....calling tomorrow to see if my local shop can hang that ish. I'm kinda throwing the towel in on the exhaust, I'm getting tired of being on the cold ass ground and not having the correct tools to do it right, plus they can make it nicy nice.
So, back to the ride. The truck IS fast....actually it's kinda voilent, rolling at 30-45 mph it'll break it loose quite easily. Tire smoke comes easy. Everything else feels fine on the truck, steers effortlessly, brakes decent and over all sounds solid.
Happy camper today.

Fellas, thanks for posting up on the rad work, appreciate the input.

ATX

11/2014 MTOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Built not bought
I'm pretty sure the gear shifts are because of the kick down . Still want pics of exhaust once down . Wanna see the fuel cell setup to . Keep it coming brotha

prymetime1

Reaction score
Well, I got home and kept thinking about the gauges.....talked to my dad and he mentioned his grounds....actually he's been barking at me making sure I have everything grounded good so there isn't issues down the road. This I have done, to a point. See today I needed to ground these two gauges and instead of running back to my common ground post on my frame, I picked some chincy place under the dash, well, it wasn't ground. I traced wires back in my head and figured to re route them to my common ground. Boom! Got my guages working [emoji106] [emoji106]
So next is focusing on exhaust....I may take one more stab at it after more thought....however I am still callin for a quote.

@atx..not sure on this, but kick down should be for down shifting when on wot? As of now i know it won't do that since it's not there, but if it also helps with regular shifting then that maybe my culprit. My pops is leaning towards my linkage adjustment being out of wack.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals