• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

need help w/ wiper linkage

E4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Fellow Ranger drivers- I turned on my wipers the other day and my drivers side worked for a second , then snap, it stopped. I heard a scratching like sound in the cowling, so I took off the access panel under the hood to find out that the wiper arm linkage had fallen of the end. I tried to put it back on, it just fell off. Took the whole wiper arm assbly out of the cowling and it has this funky plastic nipple thingy on it. It must be missing some clips or barbs becuase it does not hold the linkage together anymore. I have not taken my other side off yet, thought someone here could help me out. Im having a hard time finding a part replacement for it on the web/ parts store or even much on it here at TRS. Is this a scrap yard or dealer part? or maybe a home fix? Any help is sure appreciated!
Chris

BRUTUS_T_HOG

Article Contributor
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i can't remember how it goes together. a dealer would be crazy expensive if not discontinued which is likely.. you can try a parts store for a generic clip if they don't have exactly what you need.. can you get a picture?

E4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I will certainly try to post a pic of this critter soon.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Is is like a white plastic ball socket? If it keeps just falling out its hooped. You either need a new linkage assembly or try to get the ball socket off of another linkage without breaking it.

E4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hey thanks bigfoot- yes it is the thingy you described, and it looks very rotted and ready to fall apart. cant fiquire out how the thing keeps the linkage all together. looks like it is riveted on too. May be going the scrap yard tommorrow!

E4Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I found a replacement part at Auto Zone for the nipple thing that holds the rod and linkage together ("Help!" multipack part#49447, says its for GM/Dodge /Jeep). I popped the old one off w/ a screwdrver and sprayed the inside of the new w/ some white grease and pressed it on the ball, it snap on. Mounted the wiper linkage back onto the cowling and aligned the nipple thing and rod up and, with a visegrip, pressed fitted the two together the best I could. Seems to be holding ok, nice to have my wiper back in this weather. Also fixed my broken tailgate handle with a Help! multipack(#75450) they sold. These parts are all plastic just like the originals, hope they hold up! Hope this will help out fellow Gen 1 owners.

Ringmaster

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have two b2's with this problem. There is very little info on it or how to fix it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals