• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

harmonic balancer

uglyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I am installing short water pump kit on my 302. What harmonic balancer can i use. The original looks too long its from a 78 monarch.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What is your "short kit"?

Andy D

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
The Rat
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
My credo
to prevent Found On the Road Dead, Fix Or Repair Daily
What are your expectations? It is hard enough to maintain pulley alignments, why would you mess with what you have if it works? :icon_confused:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What are your expectations? It is hard enough to maintain pulley alignments, why would you mess with what you have if it works? :icon_confused:
Because maybe it only kinda works or maybe it doesn't work at all.

I swapped to the shorter Explorer belt system so I could run a mechanical fan and make it easier to work on (no longer have to pull the radiator to remove the alternator to change a valve cover gasket for example)

I think the Explorer setup is the only factory stock Ford setup that requires changing the dampener, I don't know if he has something aftermarket or not though. The Ex setup won't work on a '78 without custom work though.

Last edited:

uglyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
balancer and dipstick

sorry for the delay.
the short pump kit part number is m-8501-a50.
the stock balancer looks pretty long. thinking of using a balancer from a 95 ish mustang.
Also ran into another huge issue. The original timing cover has a spot for the oil dipstick. The new one does not. I checked other locations on the motor like drivers side rear of motor near oil pan. No luck. Any idea's for a dip stick spot.

I am using a dual sump oil pan if that matters. I have seen on other motors where the dipstick was installed on the side of the oil pan. But have not had any luck finding any kits for that.

Appreciate your input.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
80+ 302's had a different balance than pre 1980 engines so you would need to have a 94-95 balancer rebalanced or maybe something aftermarket.

The SN95 Mustangs had the standard balancer so it wouldn't be that big of an improvement. Did you get the lower pulley for a SN-95?

If anything you should have to shim the pulley out because the 28oz dampener you are going to be stuck with should be thinner than the 50oz that the Mustang would require.

For what it is worth, Ford Racing can be kinda flighty on what fits what. They have burned me before on that. Case in point when I was going to rebuild a '78 302 I got a dual sump oil pan kit that fits a 260-302 or something like that (could have been 289-302 like your kit, doesn't matter) and I thought I was golden with the pan dipstick, no dice. Apparently they don't think dipsticks are required on all engines. I also have a dipstick that didn't fit my trans... I have become leery about using their stuff and research hard before I do.

Late 70's Foxbody Mustangs had the dipstick in the block, new pans are available for them. 79 until whenever the 255 crawled out of the woodwork. Don't know of any retrofit kits though.

Last edited:

Mac

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The oil pan you need to find is for '79' Mustang, don't remember when or how long they had the dip stick in pan. Think some auto stores carry the pan, don't know about dipstick and pickup.
Dave
http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-oil-pan-kit-5-0l-1979-1995/p/M6675A50/?year=1979&utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CjwKEAjwru6oBRDDp4jRj4bL_xASJADJ2obyUzvEAAJNvUDz9cXHBlCwhOv8plj-V_0Fg6z2KGhAhBoCE_Xw_wcB
Pickup and rod cab bolt (supports the pickup) shouldn't matter as long as it is for a dual sump.

uglyranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
pan

Pan should show up today ty for info

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals