• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fuel gauge with wrong ohm sender

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
My truck runs on propane and i was wanting to hook up the stock fuel gauge but they no longer make the Ford 15-150 ohm sending unit they only have the GM 0-90 ohm sending unit or you can buy the sending unit and gauge together. What would happen if i bought the GM sender and hooked it up to my stock gauge? Would it read about 1/2 full when full but then go down to empty like normal? My thought was to give it a try and if it did not work then buy the gauge to go with it. I really only need to know when I'm getting close to empty I dont care if it reads full. RB

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you added a 15ohm resistor to the sending unit wire it will read 15 ohms when empty instead of 0 ohms, and 105 ohms when full.

So empty would be correct for '89 and up Ford Fuel gauge
105 ohms would show about 2/3s full on Ford Gauge.

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you added a 15ohm resistor to the sending unit wire it will read 15 ohms when empty instead of 0 ohms, and 105 ohms when full.

So empty would be correct for '89 and up Ford Fuel gauge
105 ohms would show about 2/3s full on Ford Gauge.
Thats a good idea, I'm guessing I can get one from Radio shack? Thanks RB

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would use a 20watt 15 OHM resistor, radio shack may have it but you may have to source it on-line.

14volts(engine running) at 15 ohms will max out at 13 watts

kimcrwbr1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l
Transmission
Automatic
I`m just wondering how that would work? The lower the resistance the higher the guage will register. If you want to read empty wouldnt you need to have 150 ohms at the sender. Maybe get a 60 ohm resistor to give you 150 ohms empty and 60 ohms full. Just a thought.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I`m just wondering how that would work? The lower the resistance the higher the guage will register. If you want to read empty wouldn't you need to have 150 ohms at the sender. Maybe get a 60 ohm resistor to give you 150 ohms empty and 60 ohms full. Just a thought.
Pre-'89 Ford gauges did read that way, 73(empty)-10(full) Ohms, from what I understood he has a '93

'89 and up gauges use 16(empty) - 158(full) Ohms

Pre-'89 gauge couldn't be used at all with the GM 0-90 Ohms sender, well I guess you could build a circuit board to reverse ohms at the gauge but unless it was a vintage collectable vehicle just swapping the gauge would make more sense.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, that should show 15 ohms at gauge when GM sender is at 0 ohms

sheltonfilms

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I would use a 20watt 15 OHM resistor, radio shack may have it but you may have to source it on-line.

14volts(engine running) at 15 ohms will max out at 13 watts
Yeah but the voltage is usually supplied by the ECU's internal 5V regulator with a pull up resistor built in (I've seen them as low as 600 ohms to 1 or 2k). So the fuel sending unit is only having milliamps of current flowing through it.

Which truck is this on?

Rulebreaker

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yeah but the voltage is usually supplied by the ECU's internal 5V regulator with a pull up resistor built in (I've seen them as low as 600 ohms to 1 or 2k). So the fuel sending unit is only having milliamps of current flowing through it.

Which truck is this on?
99 Ranger

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Which truck is this on?
Yes, fuel gauge systems often uses a 5v or 5v pulse system.
This doesn't change the required resistance needed for this adaptation for the 0-90ohm GM sender.
i.e. a 20watt or 2 watt 15ohm resistor would work the same on a 5v system, a 20watt would be safer to use since 14v is the highest voltage the system is ever likely to see, baring lightning strikes :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals