• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Replacing AC Evaporator..?

snahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hello..Is there a way you can replace the evaporator in the '91 Ranger 3.0 with completely removing the housing from the firewall..?//I see where it come apart and just looking seems to be able to pull the evaporator with one side still intact. Just my way of thinking tho'........;brownbag;

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It is very hard to remove that panel with the engine in the truck. There are screws on the bottom and at the back that holds that panel onto the housing.

snahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
It is very hard to remove that panel with the engine in the truck. There are screws on the bottom and at the back that holds that panel onto the housing.
Thanks for your reply.. I have to remove the engine to get the evaporator out..?!..If so, what in this world were Ford thinking..!..:shok:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for your reply.. I have to remove the engine to get the evaporator out..?!..If so, what in this world were Ford thinking..!..:shok:
Remove the housing from the firewall which is a much milder PITA.

I was referring to removing the panel to get the evap out without removing the housing from the firewall. It is very tight with the engine right there too.

Here is mine, I melted a hole the panel you are talking about trying to get it to fit with my tall valve covered 302. You can see the holes going clear around the panel though.

Last edited:

snahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Remove the housing from the firewall which is a much milder PITA.

I was referring to removing the panel to get the evap out without removing the housing from the firewall. It is very tight with the engine right there too.

Here is mine, I melted a hole the panel you are talking about trying to get it to fit with my tall valve covered 302. You can see the holes going clear around the panel though.

Ok. Thanks.." whew"..Yeah, that looks like PITA as you state. Sometimes tho, where some of these parts are located, I wonder did the Ford engineers just design stuff just to prove how smart they were..?...:icon_welder:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. Thanks.." whew"..Yeah, that looks like PITA as you state. Sometimes tho, where some of these parts are located, I wonder did the Ford engineers just design stuff just to prove how smart they were..?...:icon_welder:
Hey, it ain't in the middle of the cab behind the dash like the newer ones so I am fine with it. :icon_thumby:

The bottom nuts are a bit of a bugger but you can remove the whole thing with the engine in place, then remove your panel and do whatever to the evaporator. If they fight and you strip out the studs so they turn you can get at them inside the cab with vicegrips. Installation is reverse of disassembly.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
I'd only ask do you know, or are you sure you need to replace the Evap? NOT an easy job in any vehicle!

snahman

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd only ask do you know, or are you sure you need to replace the Evap? NOT an easy job in any vehicle!
Hello, thanks for your reply.. Not exactly sure, but I have an a/c leak and I've put in new 0 rings etc., and can't find the leak. I figure it'll probably end up being in a location like this since it being so hard to get to, this would be the last place someone would try to repair. Even the owners before me...:D..Replaced the dryer, condenser, etc. BTW, anyone try that Super Stop Leak stuff. Do it work..?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals