• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Side x Side Compromise!

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I figured I make this my official build thread.

I was looking at side x sides or a 4 wheeler but then I thought why not buy a 4x4 small truck and make it the way I want to. So I bought a 1987 Ford Ranger XLT Custom 2.9L V6 auto back in November. I plan to do all the reasonable upgrades to get it off-roading.
4.0 OHV
transmission TBD
Dana 35 or SAS
Ford 8.8
Factory STX roll bar, push bar and bumpers.
winch
bed liner
off road lighting
ect...

So far I got rid of the Diamond plate running boards and found a STX roll bar for $40. I also cleaned it up a little bit.

My list of pertinent links:
BW-1350/BW-1354 Doubler
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring07/BW1350_1354_doubler.shtml
Hitchner2009 engine swap
http://therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=150049

Last edited:

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I bought a 1988 Bronco II last weekend and already pulled the STX bumpers off. The seller didn't want to part it out so I bought the whole thing. I put it back on Craigslist now, but I am thinking if I should also pull the (1350) Manual Transfer Case and (FM-146) Manual transmission to swap out my (1350 Electric) transfer case and (A4LD) auto transmission. My question is do you guys think it's worth it converting or waiting for a 1354 and M5OD-R1?

Last edited:

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Today, I swapped out the fog light harness from the bronco to the ranger. Was a good day. easy swap. The big problem today was the bumper bolt that also have the brush guard tabs. Those bolts absolutely refuse to come out. I'll let the penetrating oil do it's work over night and try again tomorrow.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
If you want the SxS alternative I'd think the Bronco 2 would be the way to go, its smaller than the Ranger so it could get into a light more cramped areas.

I had a SxS a few years ago, unless you never use it in bad weather, you'll definitely want a cab and heater otherwise its a miserable ride. So you go pay $10k+ for a SxS then add a cab, heater, etc. now you've spent $20k on a SxS when you could get a pretty nice used pickup or SUV for 1/4 of the price LOL.

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you want the SxS alternative I'd think the Bronco 2 would be the way to go, its smaller than the Ranger so it could get into a light more cramped areas.

I had a SxS a few years ago, unless you never use it in bad weather, you'll definitely want a cab and heater otherwise its a miserable ride. So you go pay $10k+ for a SxS then add a cab, heater, etc. now you've spent $20k on a SxS when you could get a pretty nice used pickup or SUV for 1/4 of the price LOL.
Yeah, I was sitting in the back seat of the bronco taking a break and was like this is a nice spot, those rear windows are really unique. I might have to get one in the future, just not this one... lol

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Disconnected the wiring from the steering column.

Pulled the push switch.

Installed into ranger using excising hole.

Installed harness using factory pre-drilled holes and ran the wiring from inside the cab to control module to the bumper secured with zip ties.

The tabs I was talking about that refused to move... grinder is getting itchy.

farmer

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Mix of 78-96
Make / Model
Ford donors
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
357w
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
13ish
Tire Size
39.5x15.5
If I were you I'd pull the complete drivetrain from the B2, swap in the manual transfer at the very least, and swap the manual if you want. The 2.9 is a very reliable engine and when they run good they scream, so since you already have a spare, I'd wait on a 4.0 swap.

ridgerunner

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

The major difference between a SxS and a Ranger or B2 would be weight, speed, ride quality and being able to drive it on roads legally. The SxS is lighter, faster, rides MUCH better/faster offroad, but in most states cannot be driven legally on the road. That being said, the Ranger or B2 can be licensed on road, and is by far cheaper! U can put mega $ into a SxS in no time, I've done it. If U want to drive on road and go slow off road while saving money, U have chosen well!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The major difference between a SxS and a Ranger or B2 would be weight, speed, ride quality and being able to drive it on roads legally. The SxS is lighter, faster, rides MUCH better/faster offroad, but in most states cannot be driven legally on the road. That being said, the Ranger or B2 can be licensed on road, and is by far cheaper! U can put mega $ into a SxS in no time, I've done it. If U want to drive on road and go slow off road while saving money, U have chosen well!
I had a Yamaha Rhino 700 4x4 a few years ago, damn thing was $11,000 no cab, no doors, no heater, etc. Yamaha's support for accessories is terrible. However, take a Polaris Ranger 900 at $12,000 add the hard cab system, and heater and you got yourself a $24,000 toy...That's only $6k less than what my pickup cost me new. You can wrap up a lot of money in a side by side very fast, and truthfully I never really took the Rhino anywhere that I couldn't have taken a small pickup. The Side by Side was fun, but far from worth the money that these manufacturers want. For the price I could build a pretty nice Ranger or Bronco 2 to go wherever I'd ever want to go LOL.

Personally after having the 84 Bronco 2 a couple years ago, I'd rather drive the Bronco 2 and be more comfortable, and can be driven on the highway. The Side by Side can be driven on the roads here where I live, but you aren't supposed to drive them on the highways...yeah like anyone actually follows those rules I see them flying down the highway all the time, and people on ATV's as well. Course with these larger side by sides they can actually do highway speeds, and given the growing number of "Smart Cars" on the road I don't see how driving a Side by Side on the highway would be any different than those driving their damn "Smart Car" on the highway actually many of the Side by Sides are larger than a smart car LOL.

My Yamaha Rhino topped out at 45mph, never drove it that fast very often anyhow, I used it more for utility use around the property and a hunting trip or two, other than that it was never really worked that hard, it did more hauling and towing than driving fast, even on trails I never went that fast as I was never in a hurry, I was just out enjoying myself, and without a windshield having dust, dirt, bugs, etc flying into your face isn't fun HAHA!!!

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If I were you I'd pull the complete drivetrain from the B2, swap in the manual transfer at the very least, and swap the manual if you want. The 2.9 is a very reliable engine and when they run good they scream, so since you already have a spare, I'd wait on a 4.0 swap.
I'm going to the auction this Tuesday and I'll know for sure. My Ranger's engine is on it's last leg though, it's tired and I think it best to put it out to pasture. The bronco engine from what I was told is worse off but I'll know in a few days what its fate will be.

Ridgerunner and Wildbill23c you guys know whats going on. That's pretty much what I thought when I decided to buy the ranger.

Last edited:

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I won the auction! I'm the new owner of another donor truck... lol

MagicMexican

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

You could go smaller still, to get even closer to the SxS experience, for $10k you could buy a 90's Geo Tracker, gut it, put a roll cage in it, a 4 point harness, bucket seats, aggressive tires, trim the fenders, remove all the glass, add some light bars... and have money left over. You'd need major suspension work to get it to handle as well as a side by side at speed, though.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My grandfather got a rusty crusty std cab shortbox 4x4 S-10 for $500 that did everything a utility SBS would do in addition to having a good heater and being street legal. Hauling fencing, feed, fencer stuff, checking cattle... it was perfect.

However the blue truck in question as far as being beat up off road... makes me cringe. :fie:

Assassynation

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My grandfather got a rusty crusty std cab shortbox 4x4 S-10 for $500 that did everything a utility SBS would do in addition to having a good heater and being street legal. Hauling fencing, feed, fencer stuff, checking cattle... it was perfect.
That's a great memory you have there.

However the blue truck in question as far as being beat up off road... makes me cringe. :fie:
Are you saying my trucks to purty to take off road?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's a great memory you have there.

Are you saying my trucks to purty to take off road?
He still has it, it just sits now that he has sold his cattle and rents the farm out.

And it is sure a nice solid/straight looking truck. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals