• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

87 Ford Ranger 2.0L sputtering problem HELP!! We've tried everything we can think of!

Lucky'sRangerSusie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1987 Ford Ranger 2.9L that a few months ago started sputtering and dying when I let off the gas. When I first start it up the truck idles perfectly. Its after I accelerate that the truck starts to sputter and dies if I don't keep my foot on the accelerator.

:dunno:

What we've tried:
new plugs and wires
new distributor, cap, rotor, module
new fuel filter
new air filter
new rear fuel pump
new fuel regulator

We tested the fuel pressure its normal.

its not the temperature sensor.
o2 sensor is not hooked up and hasnt been since a long time before the truck started this so its not the problem.

Acepilot1023

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
I don't really know what to tell you to fix it in the long run, but you can adjust your idle so that it idles a little higher and you don't have to worry about it cutting off.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Can't really adjust the idle on these - the computer is what controls the idle speed. Adjusting the screw on the TB is going to screw up the base TPS voltage., though it seems it's purpose is for idle speed, it is solely for setting the base TPS voltage.

Honestly sounds like a very dirty throttle plate - try cleaing the IAC valve and the throttle body, or at least check it for crud around the throttle plate edges.

Pulling codes wouldn't hurt, but it's a little more involved because you can't use a check engine light, but still can be done with a test light (or analog meter, hell probably even a 12v buzzer). I tape one to the hood while it's open if the check engine light is burnt out (or not present), and watch from within the cab.

Last edited:

jhammel85

I agree that you should look into the IAC. It'll do wonders for how it'll drive. It could partially shut or shut all the way. Might want to check the TPS voltave too while you are at it. Perhaps the TB butterfly is too far shut along with a dirty or faulty IAC.

Lucky'sRangerSusie

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1987
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Will try tonight.

:icon_confused:
Thanks a million guys!! I will try cleaning that out! I'll post whether it fixes it or not.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals