• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

New guy needs some advice on his 2.0 carb situation

concentric

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, I've spent three hours calling around to all the salvage places in the area and I came up empty, so I thought I'd ask here about what to do. This is my first Ranger, so I'm kind of in the dark.

I bought an 1986 with a 2.0L engine and it's missing the air cleaner assembly on top of the carb. I don't want to be running the car long term without it as it will probably end up damaging the motor. I've come up empty trying to find a replacement.

If anyone has a line on a direct replacement or an adapter kit or something like that, that was my first thought...

Barring that, It's my understanding that the 2.0 and 2.3 are basically the same motor and with some parts from a 2.3, I might be able to swap a few things from a 2.3 and come up with a system that works.

I'm hoping the Ranger gurus here can explain to me in small words that I can understand how I can get my truck up to speed.

Thanks!

P.S. An incidental question... Are all the bolts that mount the shifter to the tranny on the '86 the same length and thread diameter? The rear left bolt is missing and the other three don't grab in the hole... Might need a bigger bolt, or I might need to have a helicoil put in.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ill check, i might have an air cleaner assembly from my 2.3, let me check.

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I doubt theres a difference.

RangerFabWorks

The O.G blackwidow67
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
sorry, must have chucked it. i can get one from the local jy if ya need one.

concentric

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you find one, I'd be happy to pay your price and throw in some cash for your time. I've been looking all over around here with no luck so far. I also need the bushing that sits below the ball on the shifter and goes into the receiver cup on the tranny for my truck, it's a 5 speed manual. Anyone know if they sell those new?

dangerranger83

5.0 HO under the hood!!!
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 HO carbed with an np435 and np208
Transmission
Manual
I think Ford sells them. My dad payed $70 for a new shifter. All the 5-speeds had the problem of the nylon bushing going out fast on the shifters.

One of my juck yards have nothing but 2.3's and 2.0 in them.

I had the same problem but it involved finding a bell housing to fit my truck when putting a 2.8 in it because the 2.3 bellhousing is different. I only found one truck with it.

Off subject, I found a truck at my junk yard covered with the ranger station stickers. My dad said Rangers dont die, they rest at junk yards advertising the ranger station. Wish I had had my camera to take pictures of it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals