• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally, my official project truck

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Also, mine swap is 2wd 99 xlt to 2wd 99 xlt and I didn't need to change any wires at the connector for engine harness. I swapped the expoler PATs module (behind the passenger airbag) and zip tied the explorer key to the PATs transceiver ring installed explorer pcm and it fired right up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk
thanks for the tip... good to know. The plug at the harness was what I was wondering about. Did you keep the ac? Seems that's a little tricky..

ick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the tip... good to know. The plug at the harness was what I was wondering about. Did you keep the ac? Seems that's a little tricky..
Yes I kept AC. AC isn't really an option for me, I live near Phoenix AZ. The engine to body harness plug needed no changes for me although I did ground shield the cam sensor signal to pcm.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes I kept AC. AC isn't really an option for me, I live near Phoenix AZ. The engine to body harness plug needed no changes for me although I did ground shield the cam sensor signal to pcm.

Yeah Ac is mandatory! LOL. Any particular reason you grounded the cam sensor like that?
You got any pics of your truck?

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Pic of my 17x11 and 17x9 American Racing wheels I picked up for $200!
They will be fully sanded and repolished one I get to that point or I'll have the powdercoated black

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Another decent Craigslist deal..set of Micky Thompson street comp tires for 300 bucks with less than a hundred miles on them . Dude put them on his mustang and later that day a lady broadsides him when she realised she was in a turning lane instead of hitting her brakes. Knocked his car into a.concrete retaining wall and totalled his car.
Wheels are bent and no good. But they are aluminum and I'll sell them at the scrap yard for a little pocket change.

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This. Will have different ideas as time passes..
I am now thinking on running a 90-93 5.0 mustang harness and engine rather than the expo. Reason being because Ill be running a 331 stroker. Another reason is tuning. I believe the 5.0 mustang computer has a lot more resources for tuning(maybe?) The problem with doing that with the expo 302 is the crank trigger and the 50 ounce balancer. I have found a couple options and one is damperdudes.com. They have a modified dampener for a 331 using an explore 302. .
BUT, most (%95) 331 kits are 28ounce balanced and the explorer engine is 50 ounce balanced.
Wiring in the mustang harness is almost as easy as the explorer harness from what I can tell. Fuel system is easy to,slight modification to the lines.
Will still be using the explorer belt drive and clutch fan and shroud though..

Last edited:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Up to you, both systems have strong points. Being a 331 stroker won't make a difference between the two systems.

Mustang system has more bolt on parts and off the shelf tuning options. Explorer system is a little more difficult to wire up, but has EDIS and transmission controls (if you are keeping the 4R70W). From my understanding the Explorer's EEC-V systems is more difficult, but more capable than the Mustang's EEC-IV from a tuning standpoint. Between the 331 and blower you'll need custom tuning, EEC-V has been around for 20 years so most custom tuners can handle it by now.

28 vs 50 oz is a source of confusion and frustration for many SBF owners. A 28oz can be rebuilt as a 50oz and vice-versa with the correct parts. Generally, with the exception of the Explorer and it's weird balancer, a 50 oz engine can be swapped with a 28oz engine. 28oz parts are more common because between the 302 and 351 it was used a lot longer than 50oz. It's more common in the performance aftermarket for the same reason, plus it allows for a stronger crank. You can't find much out there for performance using the Explorer's harmonic balancer, because the Explorer is the only place that it was used. If it had been used in the Mustang (or maybe even F-150) there would be aftermarket 28oz versions everywhere, but performance aftermarket doesn't care about a top heavy SUV.

If you want to build your Explorer 302 into a 331 and use the Explorer's EFI the Damperdudes balancer is a good option. Those stroker kits will replace the stock 50oz crankshaft with an aftermarket 28oz crankshaft. Combine that with the DamperDudes 28oz Explorer balancer and the appropriate 28oz flexplate or flywheel, your engine is now 28oz balance instead of 50oz and you are set to go. That reminds me I should probably buy one to stick on the shelf for a future engine build.

FWIW the DamperDudes balancer isn't limited 302 based stroker kits. If you think you can squeeze in a 351w or even a 427 stroker and want to run it off an Explorer EFI, the DamperDudes unit is what you need. Of course if you build a 427 stroker and want to run it off any stock EFI system, you might need to get you head examined. What ever you do don't let them know you plan to install it in a Ranger, you might not like the padded room they put you in.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Yes,the 331 will work on either car/truck engine and computer. My thing for even considering the mustang computer is tuning.
I'm checking around if I find a reputable tuner that is capable of tuning the expo computer, Ill post up the link.
Then comes the header situation for the high Hp engine... That's a whole another game.

I did look on tmh website. . it says I can purchase the headers and also says new headers for ranges . Someone else have a look...

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Yes,the 331 will work on either car/truck engine and computer. My thing for even considering the mustang computer is tuning.
I'm checking around if I find a reputable tuner that is capable of tuning the expo computer, Ill post up the link.
Then comes the header situation for the high Hp engine... That's a whole another game.

I did look on tmh website. . it says I can purchase the headers and also says new headers for ranges . Someone else have a look...
Let me know if you find a good tuner for the Explorer OBD ll in your travels. I will do the same for you while I am looking. I want to make a few changes in the near future and would like to have my tune double checked and polished up a bit.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Let me know if you find a good tuner for the Explorer OBD ll in your travels. I will do the same for you while I am looking. I want to make a few changes in the near future and would like to have my tune double checked and polished up a bit.
Actually Jeff,I talked to a guy over in Saint Louis who is the tuning guru around here. Explained to him what I was doing and he said tuning the explorer computer is no problem for him. I will call him back this week to make sure he clearly understands what's going on. The only thing is.. He tunes it in on the street! So the truck has to be together and ready to roll.Highly talked about tuner around here. Bobcat is his name.. On the mustang forums up here in the show me state. STL mustang forum. Ill get his number if you want to talk to him.

Josh
dampnerdudes is where I am getting the dampener from. It will be a 331 28oz balanced kit. Cast steel crank Forged rods and pistons 9.8-10:1 compression.(ill decide that later) 185 AFR heads. Blower or nitrous and truck will be a 5 speed

It will be a 100 percent daily driver with ac so don't want a super high horsepower motor then you run into cooling issues. The blower or nitrous will make up the difference if I ever need to play catch up

Last edited:

Jbrown1238

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
None
Actually Jeff,I talked to a guy over in Saint Louis who is the tuning guru around here. Explained to him what I was doing and he said tuning the explorer computer is no problem for him. I will call him back this week to make sure he clearly understands what's going on. The only thing is.. He tunes it in on the street! So the truck has to be together and ready to roll.Highly talked about tuner around here. Bobcat is his name.. On the mustang forums up here in the show me state. STL mustang forum. Ill get his number if you want to talk to him.

Josh
dampnerdudes is where I am getting the dampener from. It will be a 331 28oz balanced kit. Cast steel crank Forged rods and pistons 9.8-10:1 compression.(ill decide that later) 185 AFR heads. Blower or nitrous and truck will be a 5 speed

It will be a 100 percent daily driver with ac so don't want a super high horsepower motor then you run into cooling issues. The blower or nitrous will make up the difference if I ever need to play catch up

Thanks, I got your PM about the tuner. I will give him a call and see where it goes. It should be pretty easy, just looking for a little data log analysis and some minor work on an existing tune.

Maybe a second tune with two degrees of timing pulled for a new option in the near future.

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Picked up a factory reman. WC T 5 out of a 93 5.0 mustang that was rusted to pieces with about 5k miles on the trans for $350 and a little road trip.

I will be using the exact setup as Jeff did on his ranger..f550 master and 280z slave..I did see another bigger bore slave and it happen to be for a Nissan. Ill post it up next time in on here.

I've been talking to a couple of custom headers builders.. Price range from 1200-3500!! Now,I will never spend that kind of money for a set of headers for anything,I'm just a broke working white man. .
however..I have bought some LS1 swap headers for about a grand before for my s10..so.. Couple hundred more won't hurt I don't think. The 1 1/2 primaries that's out there just wont work for my blown 331 that Im building.. That's all for now until next update

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Now it's getting serious.. AFR 185'S fully cnc'd intake and exhaust..comp cams pro mag 1.6 roller rockers and fms roller lifters.. cam will be a custom grind from FTI

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Couple.of pics.. next big thing will be block work and getting the stroker kit balanced

Last edited:

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well .. minor setback on parts.. found this 2000 auto v6 all power options with a blow motor that I had to have..

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals