• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Loud howling sound need help!!

96ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey guys I have a 96 ranger 4.0l 4x4 5speed. My slave cylinder was leaking real bad so I replaced it. Took the drive shafts out, tranny mount, exhaust, y pipe, ya know everything to get to the tranny. Swapped slave cylinders and put it back up. Hooked everything up and bled it. Took it for a drive, about 5 miles down the road I hear this loud obnoxious howling. Come to a stop, still doing it for about 10 seconds then stops. Drove around a bit more to try and figure out when it does it and what happens when I do certain stuff. When it would make this loud noise I would engage and disengage the clutch, nope still will keep going. If I shift into neutral it doesn't stop. It will only stop when I, let say, put a load on the truck. If I give it gas, push the clutch in and rev it it stops immediately. I had it in 4th and it started howling, I took my foot off the gas and just let the truck coast in gear. It continued to make the noise until I shifted into 3rd. It happens at any speed although it hasn't above 50 nor at an idle. Happens very random. Anyone have any idea where I went wrong or what it could be? It's so loud I can't pin point it. Hopefully I didn't confuse anyone lol. Any ideas would be great thanks.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried shifting the transfer case thru the gears, maybe it's just not fully engaged.

It doesn't read like input side of trans, i.e. clutch side, since noise is only when tires are moving, so output side, which all goes thru transfer case

96ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
When it makes the noise if I come to a stop it will continue after tires have stopped for only a couple seconds. I would say maybe 10-15 sec. Long enough to know I'm stopped and it's still making the noise but short enough so I can't get out of the truck and pinpoint it. It's just strange. Truck didn't make the noise before I replaced the slave cylinder.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If it makes the noise when engine is turning but wheels are not then it would be input side, so yes clutch.

Only "rubbing" parts are pilot bearing and throwout bearing
Throwout bearing usually only makes noise with pedal in, but can "rub" with pedal out
Pilot bearing gets used mostly when pedal is in as well and input shaft RPM is less than engine RPM.

You just replaced slave right?

You didn't put in a new disc without new pressure plate?

96ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Right. I just replaced the slave cylinder. I didn't even drop tranny all the way just enough to get to the old slave and put the new one on. Didn't touch the clutch. If it was the transfer case how do I go through the gears in it?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Transfer case could only make a noise when wheels are moving, so doesn't fit with second description.
Just shift into 4WD hi and lo, then back to 2WD

96ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so what moves when the truck is in motion and slows down after a few seconds when I stop? Would a throw out bearing or pilot bearing make a loud howling if that was the problem?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Either could.
The fly wheel spins at engine speed, pilot bearing is in the fly wheel

The input shaft rides in the pilot bearing.
When you press clutch pedal in you disengage input shaft from flywheel, but input shaft is still spinning at the speed of the gear the transmission is in until you shift it into Neutral or another gear.
If engine RPM was 2,000 and you were in 4th gear(1:1 ratio), output shaft is at 2,000 RPMs
You press clutch pedal in and let off the gas, engine RPM drops to 800 fairly fast but output and input shaft is still dropping from 2,000 as you coast.

Throwout bearing generally would only make a noise when pedal is in, but if the slave wasn't centered input shaft could rub on it or throwout bearing.

In any case I guess you will need to open it up again.
When reinstalling you can damage pilot bearing if alignment tool wasn't used, if you never loosened pressure plate I would expect it to be aligned from previous use, but when you removed trans you may have shifted alignment if it didn't come straight out easily.

Last edited:

96ranger96

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would a carrier bearing make a howling if it was bad?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Would a carrier bearing make a howling if it was bad?
Yes, drive line bearing can may a noise when going bad, but ONLY when wheels are moving, and above about 20mph.
You reported noise after stopping which couldn't be a drive line issue.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I recently saw in another thread where a driveshaft vibration damper broke free from the rubber attachment. I could see that loose piece still spinning after stopping. A long shot....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals