• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Whoa Whoa Whoa, Locker in front diff a bad thing for DD?

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ok so I need 4.56's, and i found a D35 with 4.56s and a lockrite locker. So I figured I'd buy it, but then just now I read http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/LockerComparo.html and it said, "On 4WD vehicles, installation is normally considered for the rear axles only. Front axle installations can cause extreme difficulties in steering" But I thought lockers were always good things! Haha, but I drive my truck every day on the road, its my daily driver. Should I steer away (no pun intended) from a locker in the front then? I do take it off road enough to want a locker but should I lock the back and leave the front open? Anyone with a front locker in there DD? Thanks

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
A locker would only affect steering when the hubs are locked in. As long as the hubs are unlocked, there won't be any issues.

Bogdon

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Locker in a front diff is extreamly dangerous. If you do this you should purchase manual hubs, unlock the hubs on the street.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Just leave the hubs unlocked on the street and you'll be fine.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yeah...Im so new to this stuff, but I do have warn manual locking hubs. So as long as my selector switch is in 2wd and my hubs aren't locked in I should be good right? But when im mudding or ripping around in some snow and i engage 4wd it should be ok right? Or will my steering be messed up alot?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Yeah just leave it in 2wd and hubs unlocked.

It'll be a little harder to turn when in 4 wheel drive, as your tires will be trying to go straight, but it's not a big problem. I've been running lockers front and rear for years now, you get used to it.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Ah I getcha, I just realized it will be the exact same as our quad trying to turn when the front diff is locked...harder but not impossible. Alright I guess Ill still get it then, thanks for the help guys

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Since your my neighbour and get similar snow conditions. The question I ask you is. "During winter do you drive your truck in 4x4 on the roads?"

I had a locker in the front of my Bronco and driving on the roads in slippery conditions was nighmareish when in 4x4. I would advise against a front locker in a DD/toy. If it's a toy only then I'd just weld it up. Buddy of mine has a Limited slip in the front of his explorer and he said it was fine but he didn't drive all of last winter with it. (He got it early spring).

That is just my $.02 on the deal.

My rear locker is acting up right now and I'll be pulling it and welding the spiders. No I'm not selling it. Just tired of the clunking and constant unlocking/unloading.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
No I pretty much leave it in 2wd on the roads. The only time its in 4x4 on the roads is when the "road" has turned into a mud bug/snow hill. Basically when I'm in 4wd im going in a straight line or im in a field or something where i can turn wide and slide a bit with no problem cuz of the open space

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I'd run a locker year round, and use 4wd in winter, but only lock one hub. Yes, be prepared for it to pull to that side etc etc....but try it, get used to it and go. I run detroits in both diffs, and haven't had an issue. And now when I'm in 4wd and grab a gear to slow down, ALL 4 tires help slow down, I don't just lock up 2 tires.

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
It will give you 3 wheel drive, still allowing a front tire to pull but doesn't give you some of the steering quirks a locker has. It will only add extra wear to the non-locked hub when your actually spinning the tires, otherwise it's just along for the ride.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
What does only locking one hub do, and what's the benefit?
3 wheel drive, and still able to turn, vs 4 wheel drive and going straight, but lockright should unlock when no throttle is applied and in theary unlock when turning as long as your not on the throttle.

in reality a
2wd = 1wd
2wd + 1 locker= 2wd
4wd = 2wd
4wd +1 locker = 3wd
4wd +2 lockers= 4wd

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Oh yes that was another thing I was going to say, Lock-rites unlock do they not? So if I'm just light on the throttle and turn it should be good? Or does it have to be zero throttle to unlock. And thanks for the tip, I will keep that 3wd in mind haha

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals