• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Axle Swap 7.5 to 8.8

mosssc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I was just under my Ranger and noticed a wet spot on the rear end. It looks like a pinion seal leak. She has 230,000 on her, so I'm guessing it's time for a differential rebuild.
From what I see, just replacing the whole axle with a salvage part is much friendlier to the wallet vs a rebuild.
The door says I have an 87...aka open 7.5 @ 4.10
If I put a F7 or R7 (7.5 or 8.8 @ 4.10) will I have issues? It seems like I saw somewhere that I'd need to replace the Master Cylinder and maybe some ABS parts too. What about tires/wheels (I'm not looking to change those for now)
Any suggestions are more than welcome!!
I like doing light/moderate off road, perhaps towing a small camper or boat. No hard core 4 wheeling.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
If you get an 8.8 from a Ranger it should be a direct bolt in swap. You can keep an eye out for a limited slip as well.

An Explorer axle is also a good option, but you'll have to move spring perches and shock mounts, which adds some time and cost to the swap.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Axle swap is pretty easy. Get one from another Ranger and it's basically a bolt-in project. Check out the tech articles on this site. There is a lot of info there about different axles a swap procedures. I don't know why you would have to do anything with master cylinder unless that is an issue peculiar to the year of truck you're working on. If you stay with drum brakes, the e-brake cables should work fine.

It gets more complicated with using Explorer axles (they're upside down) or swapping to disc brakes, etc.

Eric B

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals