• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'84 ranger single cab, whats a decent and inexpensive set up?

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
so does anyone know of a set up for a small cab like that that will preform kinda middle range but not cost too much? iv got my truck wired for a four speaker system atm, each door and two behind the seat but only the doors are hooked to speakers... any help is greatly appreciated!:D

backwoods

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Partsexpress.com

A speaker is a speaker, regardless if it says home or car. If I had an idea of budget, I can recommend specific gear.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, ummm not too sure of budget cause i have no idea of what an audio system costs... but im not looking for anything special, i just want something that wont distort when i turn the radio up fairly high

509lifted

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l, 4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
my buddy has a alpine type e 10 with an alpine monoblock 500 watt amp and then stock speakers hooked up to a cheap anp from walmart the tuck out bumps alot of systems. and it was relevently cheap the sub was 75 the amp was 270 and the cheap amp for the speakers was 45 now my system is the same in my b2 except i dont have the amp and my sub isnt hooked up cause i blew my amp. if u want good deals go to sonicelectronics.com or crutch feild

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
oh awesome, ill check that out for sure:icon_thumby:

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A decent system will run you anywhere from 200 to 400 depending on what you want and if you have a decent head unit already. In my truck I run head unit power to the rear speakers because they are in a less then optimal position for anything but reinforcement but in the door I have them through a 2 channel amp, and I have a single 10 behind my passenger seat. All in all I get a good hit from the sub without being the ass hat at a stop lite that is shaking body panels.

If you don't have a head unit I would recommend something that comes with Bluetooth not only for talking but they also allow you to stream music from your phone. I have an alpine cde-135 and I love it it's easy to use and is very tune able, and from sonic very affordable at 165 with free shipping. http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_46565_Alpine-CDE-135BT.html

For your door speakers, your speakers are 4" in front and 6x8 in the rear the selection is pretty wide and they should cost you about 60 for a pair. So we are at now a total of 285 plus tax. This alone will give you a good sounding stereo. An amp that will let you go louder and cleaner, depending on your space needs can vary but here is a good 5 channel that will let you hook up a reasonably powered sub as well for 279 bringing your total to 564.
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_34760_Rockford-Fosgate-R600-5.html

A decent shallow mount sub, trust me in a single cab it's much easier to work around, will cost you 100 bucks for a pioneer or 80 for a rock fos. Plus a box you would be lookin at 700 and probably 2 nights of labor for a system you can get loud have good bass and will last you a long long time.

Last edited:

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Partsexpress.com

A speaker is a speaker, regardless if it says home or car. If I had an idea of budget, I can recommend specific gear.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk 2
this isnt really true, take a good look at a home speaker tower they are alot bigger with alot more airspace and they are usualy ported. where a car speaker has alot less air to move to make its signal, they are designed for different purposes and they usually consist of drastically different components. as an example most home speakers are still a pulp cone which is easy to dammage where a car speaker is a woven fiber that is designed for uv exposure, light impacts, and things of that nature.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
theres the post i was looking for!:D thanks for all that info man, its really helping me out with this:icon_thumby:

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Very good info there. What would you recommend for a shallow mount sub?

I have an 86 Ranger I'm rebuilding, which unfortunately only has the factory location for the dash speakers, nothing for the rear. I want to upgrade my sound when I get done with the build and am trying to figure out what and where. Thinking about going back with a decent pair of 4" 3-way speakers in the dash, and building a box for a sub and 2 6x8 3 or 4-ways behind the seat. Problems is they have to be shallow mount because I can't really move the seat up any.

Last edited:

wr250rdr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
depends on your budget honestly
this is a great pioneer that i have installed in a few trucks that sounds clean and hits for a shallow mount
http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11097_Pioneer-Shallow-Mount-TS-SW251.html

as for the box i would try to fiberglass one up i just did it for my 94 single cab and actually got a full size sub to fit without loosing seat travel. idk if thats possibel in an 84.

a final note i would avoid the 4 way speakers, i have never been very impressed with them they are usually way too top heavy and lack the bottom end of a decent 2 or 3 way. and if you are gunna put them behind your seat go with a 2 or 3 way 6x9 all of the energy from the highend will be absorbed into your seat rather then make it to your ear.

87DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I have an 87 ranger single cab
here is an idea for building some custom door panels, these door panels give the inner door more volume to help the bass, and they were built to hold a component speaker set up which sound real good and can produce a good bit of bass for 6 1/2 in woofer. (in this pic that is not a component speaker)

I also have 6x9s behind the seat wired to a 50watt amp on the low pass filter, they thump pretty good for wore out 6x9s.

Ill try to make a video to let yall hear it.

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
Ooooo I like the door panels! Was it hard to make?

Ty84

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Automatic
oh awesome, thanks

87DangerRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
no problem, can't wait to see the design of your door panels and when they're finished, if you make some.
here are some ideas for a box to fit behind your seat.
it holds two 6 1/2in woofers, a 10in passive radiator, and two tweeters at the top.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals