• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Manual Locking hub - lock nut help

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
1994 4.0L 4x4 Man locking hubs Dana 35

Bought this truck with approx 210K on it. Runs like a champ. On a trip the front right wheel bearing gave out - no brakes is how I learned of this. Had to order a lock nut kit (2 nuts with 4 slots and a washer with a bunch of holes. Some things were mangled so Im not sure what Im missing on my front axle.

I replaced the Left front bearing as the right side was original. Seems it was already replaced but the splined washer and snap ring on the end of the axle were not there.

Now my right side failed again. Seems the lock nuts backed off.

- What is the proper procedure to replacing the wheel bearings, tightening the locknuts, etc?
- What are the components I need on the shaft after the outer bearing? is there a tabbed washer i need to fold the tabs down into the lock nut grooves?(currently its a lock nut, washer with holes, lock nut, splined washer, snap ring)
- Where can I find the splined washer and snap ring? Part number?

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I can't recall how the assembly went together as it's been years since I've been into mine, But I can help with a few things.

The lock nuts backing off has been a known issue. Spec is something like 160 ft/lb-ish? 180? But anyways, taking them up to 210, or 220 ft/lbs and people report having much fewer issues.

First bearing that goes against the race tighten fairly tight, spin the disk around while tightening some more, back the nut completely off, and retighten just barely tight. like just over a lb/ft. Tap your finger on the end of the wrench kind of thing. Then the toothed washer goes on so it fits on the groove in the spindle, and finally that outer lock nut that goes on ridiculously tight.

borjawil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Appreciate the help. Need some clarity on it though.

put disc and bearings on spindle. put first lock nut on and tighten while spinning disc until it doesn't move. Back off completely, retighten to just snug basically (always been taught to tighten while spinning until it stops then back off a 1/4 turn). Then had washer with holes in it, and tighten second lock nut to approx 200ft/lb

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
That sounds right from my memory. I know 4x4Junkie has been using 225 ft-lbs as his secondary torque spec for years.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
Not sure why I didn't think to post this the first time but:

Spindle bearing replacement and exploded view,
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/spindlebearing.shtml

Unfortunately for some of the minor parts you may need to go junkyard searching, either that, the stealership.

The rotor doesn't have to stop spinning, just spin it until the inner locknut doesn't tighten anymore, back it off (don't spin the rotor), and I think the official spec is something like 16-20 INCH pounds. So just over 1lb/ft. I know, while doing it you'll tell yourself there's no way it should be that low but it is. Then the washer with the holes and one tooth that fits in the slot, then crank the living snot out of the outer wheel bearing. 225 ft/lbs or as close as you can get.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals