• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

'84 ranger single cab, whats a decent and inexpensive set up?

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Wow, I had forgotten about this thread.

Just out of curiosity what do you do for work?
Aircraft Mechanic on the local Air Force Base. Bout tired of that though, trying to get into the IT field. It's been a hobby for years, now I'm trying to get the education to do it professionally.

Backwoods:
The headliner was never about performance, I am far from an audiophile and don't "turn it up to eleven." The head liner is simply meant to be a clean, easy way to install speakers in the cab where they didn't really exist before. Keep in mind that most of these regular cab first and second gen Rangers only came from the factory with two little 4" paper cone speaker under the dash. The only option was to cut up the door panels and mount speakers (did that once and won't again), get something like this, or build boxes behind the seat. The head liner idea is a carry over from the older full size trucks that had a fuel tank behind the seat, and as such the head liner was the best looking and easiest idea.

As for the subs, have you ever measured the space under the seat of a Ranger? Those you linked to won't fit. Hell in a standard cab first gen they would barely fit behind the seat without moving the up. Fit wise there are better options to fit my needs in an standard automotive speaker, and they don't cost that much more. I also will not be using used anything, unless I was the one that used it. The only used item I have that might go into this is a head unit, and that would only last until I find one I like to replace it.

I've pretty much decided that I will be using largest speaker I can fit in the two dash locations (think I might be able to squeeze in a 5"), probably an amp mounted under the seat (if I stay bench), and a box behind the seat with two 6x8s, and one shallow mount 10" or two shallow mount 8" subs. That'll give me all the sound I want and then some.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals