• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1988 Ranger Won't go into Four Wheel Drive

mrkilroy6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 1988 2.9 Ranger with the electronic four wheel drive. Yesterday I was pressing the buttons and nothing was happening. I usually have issues where it won't go into four wheel drive when its cold. The relay will click for a little bit and it won't go into four wheel drive. Now it doesn't even click. I've checked the fuses and there all fine. Is the relay for this in the fuse box or is it elsewhere. Is there anything else I should check? There is power to the button because when I start the truck I see them light up. Thanks for the help!

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I've heard a lot of issues are at the shift motor on the transfer case itself. They get dirty and gummed up and start causing trouble like this. I'd pull the motor and have someone push the buttons and see if it shifts if not you'll need to replace or tear the motor apart and clean it. The other trouble is the control board which I believe is behind the driver's seat or in that area somewhere. If the lights are lighting up when you start the truck I'd think the motor on the transfer case is your problem.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have a look here: http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/4wd_control_module.html

The electric 4WD system is simple and complicated at the same time :)

You have 3 parts, not counting wiring and fuses
4WD switches
Shift Controller
Shift motor

The shift motor is a DC motor like a Power Window motor, if you send it 12v/Ground motor turns clockwise(window down) if you reverse it to Ground/12v then motor turn counter clockwise(window up)

The Relays you hear clicking are in the controller, and they set the 12v/Ground polarity going to the shift motor.

So how does controller no what direction to turn motor/transfer case?
There are 5 wires on the shift motors gear box, these are contacts inside the motor.
Look here: http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/index.php?threads/how-to-rebuild-4x4-shift-motor.123542/

These contacts "tell" the Shift Controller "what setting" the transfer case is in by which contacts are open and closed.
2WD, 4high and 4low each have unique contact settings

When you select 4high, for example, the shift control gets that input from the button.
It then "looks at" what contacts are opened and closed(what setting transfer case is in now), if it was in 2WD then controller closes relay to turn transfer case shifter counter clockwise until contacts show 4high, controller then opens relay, AND then turn on 4high light<< that part is imporatant
4WD lights are NOT controlled by the buttons or switch, they are turned on or off by the Controller once correct position is reached.
So there should always be a delay from when you push the button to when light comes on or goes off, shift motor has to move transfer case into correct setting.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals