• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2011 Explorer: A Disgrace to the Explorer Name or a more appropiate vehicle for the u

Is the "New Explorer" Worthy of the name?

• No. It's too on-road to be called an Explorer.

Votes: 14 23.0%
  • Yes. It's still got 4WD.

Votes: 10 16.4%
  • Don't care one way or the other.

Votes: 13 21.3%
  • WTF was Ford thinking? The designers & marketing people should be publically flogged!

Votes: 24 39.3%

• Total voters

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual

This is the 2011 Explorer. It's lost all illusions of doing anything remotly off-road.

It looks okay, but IMO, it's not worthy of the Explorer name.

Here's an article from Jalopnik.com : http://jalopnik.com/5596161/2011-ford-explorer-this-is-not-an-suv

I'm torn because the Explorer has gotten pudgier over the last redesign and is closer to the Expidition than the Ranger. On the other hand, it's what most people who buy the current Explorer want. Large, space to haull junk kids and AWD.

I dunno: What you you think and will we welcome the owners of the "New Explorer" into our die-hard RBV fold?

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
No. They must go start their own forums for that nasty chud looking beast.

It has gotten to far away from its roots to be considered an RBV anymore.

Hopman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
No. They must go start their own forums for that nasty chud looking beast.

It has gotten to far away from its roots to be considered an RBV anymore.
Agreed. "Whiskey Tango Foxtrot" doesn't begin to cover the ugliness of this thing.

Tractorman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It's what Ford needs right now to be competitive. What's wrong with that?

kossdust

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
Reminds me of a rang rover or something

And is just me or is missing some side mirrors?

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you post a pic of the actual Explorer instead of the concept?

I think it's a good looking vehicle. Yeah, off-road caability sucks, but WHO CARES?
These comments on the article sum up my feelings pretty well:
Frankly, whoever bought a Ford Explorer for off-roading was kind of taking the path less traveled. The vast majority of Explorers sold never went off road, and helped define the Soccer Mom in the first place..... They're targeting the same people who bought it like crack before: you can still sit up high and feel safe, but now the package is softer and more eco-friendly! Ford simply revised the formula. They didn't re-invent anything.
It doesn't have a V-8, transfer case, and proper off road abilities because NO ONE USES THEM FOR THOSE THINGS. 99.9% of SUVs/CUVs/whatever stay on road; the shopping mall parking lot is the roughest terrain they'll ever encounter.
I'm glad Ford used the Explorer name instead of naming it something else. Remember what happened when they renamed the Taurus the Five Hundred? Nobody knew what the hell a Five Hundred was or that it even existed, hence, nobody bought one. But everyone knows what a Taurus is. And everyone has heard of the Explorer. Kudos to Ford for not making the same mistake twice.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I stand by my previous statement.

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why don't you post a pic of the actual Explorer instead of the concept?

I think it's a good looking vehicle. Yeah, off-road caability sucks, but WHO CARES?
These comments on the article sum up my feelings pretty well:

I'm glad Ford used the Explorer name instead of naming it something else. Remember what happened when they renamed the Taurus the Five Hundred? Nobody knew what the hell a Five Hundred was or that it even existed, hence, nobody bought one. But everyone knows what a Taurus is. And everyone has heard of the Explorer. Kudos to Ford for not making the same mistake twice.
I'm with exbass on this one...How many 2000+ Explorers have you seen that are suspension lifted, body lifted, or have larger than stock All-terrain or mud tires? Slim to none. Ford's not run by a bunch of idiots.

James86

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,
Ford,
Engine Size
3.0 Flex Fuel, 2.5L, 3.3 Flex Fuel
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
WHY DO I KEEP BUYING DODGES?!?!?
If it is not on the Ranger platform, then no - it shouldn't be on this site at all. This is a site for "Ranger Based Vehicles so in the strictest sense, a unibody next-gen explorer isn't supposed to be here. As far as off road capabilities, I'll reserve judgement. The new Grand Cherokees with four wheel independent air suspension are getting nods of approval in car magazines for their capabilities despite being on a Mercedes platform. If a bloated luxobarge can tackle Moab without breaking a sweat with a 3.6 V6 with 290hp and 260lb/ft and still get 22mpg in 4wd guise, then I have faith in the Blue Oval:damnit1:

If Chrysler can pull that off, then let's see what the Explorer can do...

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Grrr... WTF is it with auto MFG's and their vehicles with curvy ass head lights and curvy body lines... I want my square body vehicles!

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
As I have stated from time to time...I will never buy another Ford. I think the square look just sucks.....I am not happy with most of Ford's body styles anymore. So many of the newer cars and trucks are just getting to that stupid squat look that just sucks to me. Some have that stupid 'Tuner Boy' look as well. The Flex and the Edge are just fugly and don't say 'Buy me' like Ford used to say. Jeep is getting this way as well and I used to think alot about Jeep!!! I am buying a new SUV next month and I am keeping my Ranger. I want something that says...Buy me!!!!!! So...'good by' Ford

MrE_Powers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
every once in a while the worst cars of all time list pops up. the explorer is on that list. i guess ford figures if they are on the list with the explorer then they need to make a version that actually fits. that damn thing is uglier then the nissan cube thing and kia hamster mobile.

PickupMan04 FX4 L2

I think ford hit the nail on the head.. its what the majority of new customers want.. unfortunately guys i think we are the minority here.. id have loved it if it was a BOF platform with a five speed and no bells and whistles with the new v-6 ecoboost..

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals