• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

CB Help

simo2687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
i just bought a cobra 19 ultra III and i dont know where to wire the power wire to. is there anywhere in the cab it can be wired to?

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
i just bought a cobra 19 ultra III and i dont know where to wire the power wire to. is there anywhere in the cab it can be wired to?
if you have a cigar lighter that is not being used you could disconnect it and use the power and ground feed for the cigar lighter as the power source for you CB. otherwise look at your fuse panel and see if you have a constant 12V power source or a keyed[accessory]12V power source and go with one of those, keeping in mind to ground to the chassis

simo2687

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
how do i know which is a constant 12v power source on my fuse panel

gotmudd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
390C.I
Transmission
Automatic
it will be a spade connector marked IGN or ACC, if your box has niether of those designations, i'm not sure. on my camaro[and any other gm product i've ever owned] it is plainly marked. i looked at my g/f's truck, she has an F250 4x4, and hers isn't marked either, therefore i would say your best bet is you cigar lighter connection. maybe with some luck someone else will come along with a better solution or maybe know if there is a 12V constant power source.
how do i know which is a constant 12v power source on my fuse panel

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The correct way to wire a transmitter is to run power into the cab directly from the battery. This includes both positive and negative leads, and both sides of the leads should be fused as close to the battery as possible. This prevents RF from getting into the vehicle wiring, minimizes noise from the vehicle getting into the radio through the power leads, and avoids a voltage drop using the vehicles wiring, assuming you are using wire of adequate gauge. I would recommend at least 12 gauge, but for a CB, 14 should work ok, since a CB doesn't a lot of current.

reginald fairfield

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 liter FF
Transmission
Manual
The correct way to wire a transmitter is to run power into the cab directly from the battery. This includes both positive and negative leads, and both sides of the leads should be fused as close to the battery as possible. This prevents RF from getting into the vehicle wiring, minimizes noise from the vehicle getting into the radio through the power leads, and avoids a voltage drop using the vehicles wiring, assuming you are using wire of adequate gauge. I would recommend at least 12 gauge, but for a CB, 14 should work ok, since a CB doesn't a lot of current.
That is how I did it. It is the right way.

Rammunition360

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
dude any thing that has power all the time will leave the cb on all the time at descretion of the on/off switch anything that utalizes power once your ignition is on will turn your cb on if its fused to that...i have had them spliced in the cigeratte lighter in a 99 s-10, you could run it through the firewall like suggested or get a little test light and put it anywhere you want i suggest the fuse panel (its easier) make sure you have an inline fuse on the cb power wire though, just for back up...the hard part is finding where to run your antenna wire ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals