• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best way to wire canopy lights?

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Anyone found a foolproof way to wire connection for a canopy that is intermittently removed? Any good ideas that would stand up to corrosive Washington State weather? Also any vendors you might know of for good canopy interior lights?

Thanks in advance.

grey ghost

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i would recomend a 4 prong trailer plug.

wire a would be for the hot side for the 3rd brake light.
wire b would be power for the interior light.
wire c for a decent ground.

then atach wire b and d together and fuse it for a possible sig lighter plug on the cap to recharge your cell or spotlight etc..

run the wire inside the truck box behind the turn signal light and attach it under the bed lip then the other half can be atached to your cap just unplug and remove cap..:icon_thumby:

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks. That really started the old brain gears a-grindin'. Especially since a lot of trailer plugs now come with waterproof covers for when they're not attached. I will have to work it when I can dig my truck out of the foot-and-a-half of snow we just got.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Yea thats about the best way to do them, thats the way I do them all at work.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
i did a simialr thing with my gen 1 truck ,used a 2 contact plug. my current truck i havent put a interioir light in yet, took off the 3rd brake light after hitting my head on it so many times.

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I install about a dozen canopies a week at my work, we use a 3 prong plug

wire 1 - ground
wire 2 - we run to trucks park lights and to the canopy dome light ( so you dont forget to turn off the dome light and wear down the battery)

wire 3 - on a ranger has to go right to the brake switch, there is no chmsl wire in the truck like most trucks have.

any retail store that install's canopies should have wire harness's, 3rd brake lights, dome lights, light duty topper tape, and cap clamps. A few companies to check out would be API, ARE, Raider, Century, Action truck caps, leer ...

API is more into lights clamps and wireing, hope this helps

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I install about a dozen canopies a week at my work, we use a 3 prong plug

wire 1 - ground
wire 2 - we run to trucks park lights and to the canopy dome light ( so you dont forget to turn off the dome light and wear down the battery)

wire 3 - on a ranger has to go right to the brake switch, there is no chmsl wire in the truck like most trucks have.
Yea I use the park light circuit when I do them at work also, its amazing how many people complain about having to turn on the park lights to use the dome light in the canopy. I guess they'd rather have dead batteries.

I know on the 98+ trucks there is a dead ended wire underneath the CJB (central junction box) under the hood. If you remove the box, there will be a green wire with the end shrink tubed. It's power right from the brake switch.

If you wire the brake lamp of the canopy into the brake light itself, it will blink when you have the signal on.

Jackrabbit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you wire the brake lamp of the canopy into the brake light itself, it will blink when you have the signal on.
Yea, that would look pretty fracked-up. LOL.

fx2prerunner

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94/97
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yea I use the park light circuit when I do them at work also, its amazing how many people complain about having to turn on the park lights to use the dome light in the canopy. I guess they'd rather have dead batteries.
yeah I get that complaint alot too, if you use a pin switch and bracket from a remote starter hood pin switch you can hook up a door activated dome light in your canopy but it can be problematic.

Im not sure what years, but in some mazdas the rear signal and brake light are seperate in the taillight, if this is the case you can get all your wires in the taillight and not have to run the wire to the front of the truck.

I didnt know there was a wire under the hood on rangers, thanks for the tip I will be looking for it on the next one I install.

mattging94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I know this is an old thread but what I'm doing fits right in with it

I know on the 98+ trucks there is a dead ended wire underneath the CJB (central junction box) under the hood. If you remove the box, there will be a green wire with the end shrink tubed. It's power right from the brake switch.
I've been looking for this wire on my 03 for hours and can not find it! Think they forgot to put it on my truck or something? Any pics of one so I know exactly where I should be looking for this wire?

My truck had been wired for a canopy by a previous owner but they did it wrong and wired the 3rd brake into the left brake/turn. But what's really weird is he used an inline 10 amp fuse between the left brake light and the canopy light - that shouldn't be necessary right? The canopy light is LED and shouldn't draw hardly anything

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
It should be harness taped to the large harness under the battery Junction box. As for the fuse you do not need to fuse it if it is from a fused source already

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
On the '92 i just got, they had sourced power and ground from the left side taillight assy. Theres a connecting plug that can easily be pulled apart if the cap is removed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals