• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Which truck would be better for hauling?

Mahgongo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I am looking at getting a 6'x10' cargo trailer and converting to a camper/ bug out trailer. While still having the ability to use as a trailer for lawn mowers and what not (the trailer I am looking at sits at about 1200#, looking about 300-500# of gear).

My question is would it be better to use my 04 sport track 2wd with the 4.0 AT or my 01 ranger 4wd also with the 4.0 and AT? Both have a curt class III hitch installed . Thank you guys in advance.:icon_cheers:

Schnot

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
Probably close to the same but a little advantage to the ranger if it has stiffer springs in the back. It'll help with ass-end sag and handling.

Sent from my iPhone.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Is the trailer single axle or dual axle and does it have trailer brakes? If you are really planning to convert to a camper I'd figure on it weighing about 2000 lbs with it set up for that and your camping gear. Water holding tanks can add more weight than you think.

I'm going to assume that both vehicles are still stock as far as drive train and tires are concerned. Going on towing capacity alone the Ranger has the larger towing capacity by about 300 lbs. That said, I doubt that the trailer you are considering will hit the 5300 lb capacity of the Sport Trac. The sport track has the better brakes, the fronts are larger and the rear are disk. If the trailer has brakes then that won't be much of an issue either. The Sport Track also has a little more weight to it so that might make for a little smoother pull. It's really a toss up as to which would be better. If you were going to be using this combo camping where the roads aren't the best I'd say Ranger all the way, but if you are going to be using it mostly on improved roads with traffic the Sport Trac might be a little better on the gas bill and braking.

Nice thing is that you have both. By the numbers either one will handle the load, so give them a try and see how they handle it in the real world. You aren't limited to using one all of the time, use the one that's best suited to what you are doing.

Mahgongo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks guys I was kinda figuring that there wasn't a big difference but just wanted a second opinion. As always my fellow Ranger lovers assisted me :)

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
When you get the trailer let us know what you think. I've considered getting one of those myself. I'd do about the same and make a toy hauler/camper/motorcycle storage unit.

superds

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2" body. 1.5" coil spring spacers/rear block
What about differential gear ratio of each? Are they the same? If one of the two has numerically higher ratio it should have more power for towing, the lower geared truck would probably yield better MPGs towing but might run out of power at higher speeds.

Ditto what was stated about the brakes being disc rear on the Sport Track, which should also have a 31 spline 8.8 rear end, slightly stronger than the 28 spline in the Ranger.

bluebombersfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
whats even the difference really

a 4.0 could probably tow 2 0r three of those I would imagine. I have a 3.0 06 sport. last week I towed a fairly big 16 aluminum boat (1200lbs aprox) and a pop top camper on my truck (1000lbs) Had no trouble at all. rolling hills no problem. Wouldn't want to drive up any mountains though with this set up.
Never tried a 4.0 but I would imagine towing what you said you wanted to tow it wouldn't even break a sweat for either truck you have

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals