• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best Class 3 or 4 Hitch?

BuiltFordTough12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger is a 2003 4.0 auto, 4x4, 4.10 limited slip and is rated to tow a trailer up to 5600 pounds. I am looking for a trailer hitch that can handle at least 5000 and 500 pounds of tounge weight. A lot of what I have seen out there for rangers only go up to 4000 and 400 pounds even when called a class iv hitch. I did notice one from hidden hitch that is a class 3 that can handle to 5000 pounds of weight carry towing. I was wondering what the difference between class 3 and 4 is, and if anyone has the hidden hitch on their ranger?

jeffw920

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
My ranger is a 2003 4.0 auto, 4x4, 4.10 limited slip and is rated to tow a trailer up to 5600 pounds. I am looking for a trailer hitch that can handle at least 5000 and 500 pounds of tounge weight. A lot of what I have seen out there for rangers only go up to 4000 and 400 pounds even when called a class iv hitch. I did notice one from hidden hitch that is a class 3 that can handle to 5000 pounds of weight carry towing. I was wondering what the difference between class 3 and 4 is, and if anyone has the hidden hitch on their ranger?
I believe I have the hitch you're talking about, i bought it off etrailer, here's the link to see if it's the same one

http://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Hitch/Ford/Ranger/2002/70181.html?vehicleid=20022516

I'm not sure what the rating system is that differentiates class 3 from 4, but I think you'd be fine with the hidden hitch i posted the link to. The sticker on the actual hitch says 7,000lb capacity when using weight distributing bars so that exceeds the truck capacity.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I've got a Reese on mine, couldn't be happier. Really any of the name brands are going to be of fairly good quality.

They're all rated similarly if they say class III/IV, so search for the site with a decent deal on one. I paid a little extra from a website that had one listed for extra weight, I received a standard III/IV hitch, so be careful.

BuiltFordTough12

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I got the hidden hitch today and am very happy with it. I think its worth the extra money because its capacity is matched well to the truck and you really cant see it under the vehicle, except for the 2" reciever area.

TomB1269

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002, 2005, & 2
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Size
3.0L/4.2L/5.4L3V
Transmission
Automatic
Class 3 are should list 350 / 3500 lbs; with Load distrubution 500 / 5000.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
That round tube Hidden Hitch receiver is a very good Class III receiver. I installed one on my 02 Ranger in 02. It is still in great shape after towing my race car in a trailer all over the country.

As noted before it does not hang down as much as many other types of receivers. I also do some pretty extensive off-road adventures and have not yet hit anything with it yet. It is an easy install also.

coopab

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 L
Transmission
Automatic
Reese 33058 for Stepside

Class II— Up to 3,500 pounds towing capacity, 250 to 350 pounds tongue weight

Class III— Up to 6,000 pounds towing capacity, 350 to 600 pounds tongue weight

So you need a class III. Here is a good, Class III hitch made for a Ranger:

http://www.hitchwarehouse.com/store/product/15578/Reese-Hitch,-Class-3/
I've been researching why Advance Auto Parts lists several different hitches as "exact fit for your 1999 Ranger". I purchased a Reese hitch at a Tractor Supply and had to return it. When I called the Reese tech support number on the box I was told that I had to use the #33058 because my truck is a stepside/flareside. Fleetside models apparently use a different hitch. Does anyone's experience contradict this???

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals