• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ball joint job - CV nut removal?

OskarBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
I'm fairly new at home automechanics, but I've completed some successful projects. I've searched these forums with lots of questions, and for the first time, I can't find an answer to my problem. So here goes my first post. Hopefully someone out there can help me out!

I'm replacing the lower ball joints on my 99 Ranger. I did this job once before with relative ease on my old 01 Ranger but it was RWD so I had no front differential to deal with.

That's where I'm having the issue. I can't for the life of me figure out how to disconnect the knuckle/hub assembly from the CV axle. I have literally everything else done, but with those parts connected, there's not enough room to slip the spindle down off the ball joint.

Every write up and video I can find talks about removing the CV axle nut. But I can't seem to find it on my truck.

This is what it looks like when I pull off my manual locking hubs

Am I missing something? There doesn't seem to be a nut here, but photos and videos seem to indicate there should be one in the middle.

I'm seriously at a loss here. Can't believe I'm stuck not even being able to access my ball joints. I feel like I'm missing something really obvious, so I'm calling it for the night and gonna sleep on it.

Anyone know what I'm missing here?

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
The nut on the cv axle should only apply to 01 and up 4x4 rangers/ b-series Mazda’s and 95-01 explorers and mountaineers. Since yours is a 99, it falls into the 98-00 group that had the PVH hubs which shouldn’t have a cv nut. Someone more versed in this may correct me, but I think you will have to remove the hub (3 15mm bolts on the backside of the knuckle) in order to give the knuckle enough play to allow it to drop off of the lower ball joint. Some gentle persuasion with a BFH may be required.

OskarBlue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input!

I did end up figuring this out. Combination of Hayne's manual research and internet searches finally turned up what I was looking for.

You were right about the pulse vacuum hubs. They don't have a CV nut. Apparently removing the PVH is a huge PITA to deal with. Thankfully at some point in my truck's life someone switched over to manual hub locks which made my job a lot easier.

The orange ring you can see inside my hubs is a circlip. There's a little metal spring/coil thing in front of the circlip. I didn't have the special removal too for these but a lot of time finagling with some needle nose pliers and a couple picks got them out. Once the circlip is out, the knuckle and hub assembly slides right off the axle, giving easy access to the lower ball joint! No removal of any other bolts required.

It's worth noting that sources I found recommend replacing these circlips if they're ever removed. I was very careful in removal and managed not to break or damage them, and made the decision to reuse them. Could be risky. I felt good about it. Guess I'll find out. If anything goes terribly wrong, I'll be sure to update as a warning to anyone else thinking of doing the same thing.

The rest of the ball joint replacement went well. "Gentle" persuasion with a BFH was definitely necessary at some points.

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Good to hear you got it figured out.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals