• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Saw A Young Girl Die Today

CJREX

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Be careful out there guys.

On my way to Chattanooga, TN and in a sharp curve (Hwy 52 from Dawson county just before Gilmer county for those who know the area in north GA) and a young girl is coming toward me too fast for the curve. I saw her tires get in the dirt on the side of the road and she was fighting to regain control. In my mind I thought "she lost it" and caught a glimpse in my rearview of her car skidding further off the road just before she rounded the curve out of my sight.

I immediately turned around thinking(hoping) she was probably off in the field on the side of the road.

Unfortunately, no.

Her car hit a large hardwood tree, striking it just to the right of the center of her hood.

The front bumper was crushed up to the B pillar on the passenger side. The tree was up to the base of the windshield. The engine came back into the occupant compartment.

Young girl, late teens-early twenties. So sad.

Someone's daughter/wife/girlfriend didn't make it to her destination.

I can't remember clearly, but I think she had only one hand on the wheel and something (cellphone?) in the other. Either way, too fast for that curve in that car.

It was a mid eighties Oldsmobile 4 door. She was wearing her seatbelt but it did her no good at all. The dash of the car was touching the seat.

I can't help but wonder if she might've had a chance in a more modern vehicle with better safety engineering. If the drivetrain had've gone under the cabin instead of into it, she could possibly have survived. An airbag would have done nothing in this situation.

I pray that she didn't have children who now have no mommy.

Sorry this is so long, but it kind of shook me up. To see someone only seconds before their life ends unexpectedly, puts a new meaning to the fact that every day is a gift.

We are all only a breath away from eternity. Nobody plans to have an accident.

I guess I'm rambling about this but I need to get it out. I don't want to read on here about someone dying a needless death because of a moment's inattention.

Once again, be safe out there.

God Bless.

05level2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Wow, sorry to hear that man that sucks. Unfortunately that stuff happens everyday. People need to pay attention to whats going on and stay off the damn phone.

4x4RangerGuy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Subaru
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That's terrible. My heart goes out to all her close ones.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That really sucks. There are way too many people on the road anymore that shouldn't be because they just plain don't know how to be safe.

I had class tonight and took my choptop. When I left the college, I found quick that the roads were all glazing over, so I was taking it easy because even at 30mph my back end was slipping around some on the ice with those big mud tires. I had people riding right off my back bumper the entire trip home... had several people pass me all pissed off too. I'm actually surprised that I didn't see anyone wipe out after passing me, but there was no way I was going any faster, I have no desire to end up rubber side up.

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
last may i was on my way home from doing a little shopping. i was going 60ish down a 4 lane road (2 lanes each way, divided by a center turn lane) when i saw an oncoming car veer left of center. there was a jeep wrangler in front of me, he saw it too. nobody had time to do anything but slam on the brakes. the car hit the jeep head on, i stopped about 6 inches behind the jeep. its a very scary thing to be in a situation like that. the driver and passenger of the jeep i assume were fine, they were both pinned but had no major injuries. the driver of the car was unconscious when i checked on her. i was the first person to call 911, i saw everythign right in front of me. had i left the store i was at just 30 seconds sooner, it would have been me pinned in my truck. it really makes you think, puts everythign back in perspective.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I'm just glad that she didn't take anyone else out with her. I can't imagine how some people justify the way they drive. I have to be completely honest, I'm more pissed than I am feeling sorry for her.

I'd go so far as to say that a state institute tests where you have to control a skidding car in order to get your licence. I know of one female friend (not stereotyping females, plenty of males don't know how to drive either) who admitted just "letting go" of the steering wheel when she started skidding on a icy road. I nearly punched her in the face. Same girl also claimed I should put my vehicle into a ditch to avoid hitting a little kitty cat or doggie. arrgghh..

Last edited:

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the best thing to do is talk about what happend,thats really bad , hope to god she dident have kids, my dad almost died when i was six from drinking and driving i dont know what i would have done growing up with out the old man, any ways its good to vent...

blkmazda90

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
That really sucks man.

I am only 17 and im not bragging that i drive good or nothing but all these teenage girls scare the ever loving shit out of me when they drive.

Its worse when there is a group. Girl im in school with had her parents car and 4 friends and she decided to let her friend drive. What happened?? She rolled it into a ditch totaling it. No one was hurt luckily.

Insanejughead

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
RBV's on Boost
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'94, '86
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3T
Transmission
Manual
God has odd and cruel ways of bringing us all home. It can only be a lesson to others. Most people don't listen to good sense when they hear it, but when they see the consequences of stupidity... they rethink it all.

I can't imagine how horrible those last few seconds for that girl was like.

I had a wreck, ended up in the ditch. I was going about 30mph around a gentle curve on a dirt road and started fishtailing. I overcorrected about four times and finally met the ditch. I only remember trying to regain control and then I saw the ditch right at my hood and I thought "Sh*t". I later felt blessed to have not gotten too beat up (my throat hit the top of the steering wheel, and my eyelid got cut on the dash).

I got out and my first thought was "Damn it... Now what?!"

Then I had to walk two miles to someones house to get a ride to my uncle's house.

almostclueless

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Thats just horrible

Shoeboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chrysler
Engine Size
2.4L
Transmission
Manual
Accidents happen, I take every precaution to prevent them, but I still had my nasty one a few months back. I was in the right, and the Semi was in my lane coming head on toward me, I could have made a new hood ornament for him, or try to save my life. I moved over, hit a little patch of ice on the shoulder of the highway and my box slid out sideways on me. I had my wheel cranked all the way right and I kept sliding left, there was nothing I could have done to regain control. I will admit I let go of the wheel, only when I knew that ditch was coming and I wanted to brace my neck, I let go of the wheel put my hands behind my neck and tried to touch my elbows together (also to shield my face), I also closed my eyes, so I wasn't going to see what it was that was going to kill me. I was lucky and walked, my family has the good luck of doing that. At the time of my accident, I was not on a cell phone (actually there was no reception where I was, and I don't even own a cell), and I was doing the speed limit, the main roads weren't bad, it was the shoulders that were. That moment was the absolute most scary and most beautiful moment of my life. It scared me knowing that it was just that easy to die, but it was beautiful in the fact that I got a second chance.

As for the practicing skids to get your license, I think thats a good idea, I practice skids all the time, I even knew what to do and I was doing it when I went over the edge of the road. I knew what to do and that probably saved my life as I went into the trees nose first and not sideways, like I probably would have if I didn't try to save it, as for taking my hands off the wheel, I knew I was done for, so I had not reason to keep them on, I probably would have done more damage to myself if I did hold onto the wheel.

I think the first thing they should make mandatory is no talking on cell phones when driving. The amount of accidents I have seen because of that is unreal. I've seen some pretty brutal accidents and a lot of them are cell phone related.

I'm sorry you had to see that accident, and I'm sorry she died. I would never wish what you saw today on anyone, that is probably the most horrible thing in the world, the smell of death. When I had my accident, I actually thought I died until Ian stopped for me, There must have been 10 cars to pass me with me waving my arms screaming for help, and covered in blood all over my face and neck, it was a good 5 minutes before someone stopped. That was the scariest 5 minutes of my life. I thought I was dead and no one could see me, turned out they were just ignorant assholes. I am glad to hear that you would actually turn around and stop to make sure everything was ok, even expecting the best, it shows that there are still some good people in this world, its people like you who we need more of.

Joe_Roofer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990ish
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Wow, man
I had a completetly dissimilar situation last fall that ended up with someone dead in front of me... I posted it on another forum as soon as I got home, had to put it out there. It is good to talk about it.
"We are all only a breath away from eternity." So true!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thats just horrible
+1, that would be horrible to witness, and even worse to check on.

I can't really say too much, being a typical teenager I had some close calls myself as I am sure most of us on here have. I took a on ramp too fast with my Laser, hit some loose gravel and spun out. Everything was in slow motion seems like it took 15 minutes to do, I thought that was the end. Somehow the car just kept going sideways and stayed on the ramp though. I was spinning right and had the wheel cramped left with the brakes on, when it stopped the motor was stalled as well (5-speed, I wasn't letting off the brakes until it ended) It ended with me spun about 110 degrees off of the center of the road in with the classic Hollywood tire smoke washing over the car, if it was a movie it would have probably made for a neat scene. After riding it out though I almost needed a new pair of shorts, and I drove the rest of the trip 5 mph under the limit, takes the fight right out you. After doing that I have now learned not to that stuff as my F-150 probably wouldn't slide as well, kinda like what they say, "What doesn't kill you makes you stronger"

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals