• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Power steering pressure hose O-ring ('90 BII 2.9)

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
My service manual tells me that the swivel fitting at the steering pump outlet is a non-serviceable assembly... Has anyone had luck getting one of these apart to replace just the O-ring? (the diagram shows what looks like an inaccessible snap ring inside that holds the swivel part of it together) Or should I go ahead and just get a new pressure hose?

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
If the fitting is the same as the one used on the 84 2.8, what looks like a snap ring is actually a not round piece that sort of springs out once the pieces are pushed together (hard to describe) but it works in a similar manner to the driveshaft ends on fwd transmissions. The big difference is that because it's made from a piece of flat material, once it's in there, it stays in there. I found this out when mine blew itself apart due to the clip breaking. I made a new clip out of either a steel can or a piece of steel shim-stock, can't remember which as it was a long time ago. I know this does not tell you how to get it apart but sometimes, if you know what's in there, it helps you to figure it out. Good luck.

RangerSVT

Oct 09 OTOTM
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
GT-40 5.0L EFI W/AC
Transmission
Automatic
It'd be easier to just get a new hose, they're not that expensive...

SVT

martin

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
They're not that expensive where you are, but up here they're over a hundred bucks. If you can find one.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Yeah, that seems to be what I'm getting... Just get a whole new hose. I'm finding prices to be around $30 or so (though an O-ring would be about 5¢).

WTF was Ford's thinking on this POS anyway? :annoyed:

Appreciate the responses guys. :beer:

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Well, it looks like there's some chance I may have lucked out here... Turns out there's a larger O-ring around the pump's output fitting (the large 24mm nut) which was leaking, so it wasn't the swivel part on the hose after all. A new 20mm x 3mm O-ring from my deluxe Harbor Freight assortment, a bit of Teflon tape for the hose's fitting, and so far so good... (knocking on wood)

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Do you have pics of this connection by any chance? I have a 96 with a leaky hose...the one nearest the fender...I know it unbolts and was suspecting a wonky seal but wanted to check it.

I do have the manual box that I was going to swap it out with just in case, but if I can salvage the PS I might keep it on for a while until I get all the other things sorted out...

There is a slight difference in the pitman arm on the manual and power box...the manual is from an 88 and the power is 96 so not sure if I can just swap the pitman arms or if I have to change something else also...but the 96 is pretty much a straight on while the manual box has a slight bend (downwards, I think).

Anyway...hoping to be able to fix the PS if possible for now~

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Sorry for the delay...
This what you're looking for?

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Excellent!

Thank you...mine appears to be leaking around the non-replaceable 0-ring...the outer seal, but I haven't actually looked at it while the engine was running...and the whole input pipe moves back and forth about 1/8"...does that mean it's toast or do the other rings take up that slack?

I do have a replacement PS unit but if I'm going to change that part out I might as well put the manual box in and be done with it...hopefully I can fix the one I have because I am getting old and between the shifting and the non PS by the time I drive anywhere I'm too tired to do anything when I get there...lol

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Spray it off real good with some degreaser (Gunk Engine-Brite Original, etc), then after a day or so you might be able to see more easily where it's actually leaking from (that is how I discovered it was the larger O-ring that seals against the reservoir).

That swivel fitting is normally loose, yes.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Cool, thanks again!

I will try that first.

Just to see, I went to a local parts store and they have the line in stock for $40 + tax...and I went to a local mechanic and he said $140 to $160 to swap in my manual box...I know I can do it myself for next to nothing but just in case I ran into problems.

I forgot to ask about the O-ring kit...but if that is what's leaking I should be able to grab a pack of them and fix it myself...for a few bucks.

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Update...I found the leak, but it wasn't the hoses...leaking from the base of the pitman arm shaft...so looks like I will need to replace the box...just posted in the urgent help required...as there is a difference in the pitman arms between manual and power boxes...the manual drops about an inch lower than the power box...wondering if that is going to be a problem or will I have to replace the entire steering section...:(

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals