• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Will a '96 4.0 lower intake work for a '94 ?

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I see that Dorman has new lower intake manifolds for 4.0L on Amazon for $149 (edit 2-9-17: now it's $133). It is Dorman # 615-295 - they state the Ford OEM part # is F6TZ9424AB.

According to the Amazon "Check for Fit", the first year that this 615-295 it will fit is a 1996.

Probably a dumb question, is there any way to make this work for a 1994 4.0L ?

I have the common water jacket pitting problem on my '94. I have already "fixed" another one of these intakes on a '94 Explorer by carefully cleaning and then filling in the pits with JB Weld and sanding it all down but would really like to avoid doing all that crap again.

I have checked for a new one from Sliver States Ford Parts also - they are discontinued.

Thanks, Bob W.

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
F6 at the start of the part number means first used in 1996, F = 199, 6 = well 6 lol
E = 198......
So it was a revision of older part number, probably F0(1990, 4.0l 1st year), so there was some change or changes for them to revise the number, may have been to re-enforce those coolant passages, :) , my 1994 got same leak

It would fit heads and block, but not sure about fuel rail and upper intake
Head revisions were in '95 and '97, so if intake change was needed it would have F5

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Ron, I get what you're saying - if a different intake was needed for the '95 head change the part # would have started F5, not F6.

May take me a month or so, but I'll see what else I can dig up or compare about the fuel rail and upper intake differences.

your "6 = well 6" was worth reading even if you had said nothing else - that was funny.

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, not sure if this really tells us much, but so far I went on Fel-Pro's site and the MS 98005 T complete intake set with the 2-piece intake-to-head gaskets is the same for 1990 to 1997 Ranger and this same set is also for the 1991 to 1996 Explorer.

But the other Fel-Pro set that only comes with the 1-piece intake-to-head gasket and two upper intake gaskets is part # MS 94682 for '90 to '94 and MS 94682-1 for '95.........

.......and it is MS 95739 for the '96 but this has the 1-piece intake-to-head gasket only (no upper intake gaskets included).

As far as I've seen, most people are using the 2-piece set up these days.

Last edited:

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, for one thing, (at first it) looks like the new Dorman # 615-295 manifold does not have the mounting boss for the fuel pressure regulator.

Edit: But as I look at other pics further, the Fuel Pressure Regulator on both the '94 and '97 (and I assume '95 and '96 as well) actually just bolts to the Fuel Rail Plate so I was wrong in saying that the Dorman manifold is missing the boss for the Fuel Pressure Regulator - the pic of the Dorman below just does not have the Fuel Rail plate on it.

Attachments

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
watching this thread. read the tech page on it. wondering about the gaskets? and Orings? Mine is a 93 4.0

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Denise, I was looking at that tech page about replacing the intake gaskets etc.

Looks like the Fuel Pressure Regulator on the (what I think is a) '97 4.0 they are working on (in the tech page) is in the same spot as the '94 - they both just bolt to the fuel rail plate.

I checked the Advance Auto and Silver States Ford Parts sites and the Fuel Pressure Regulator for the '94 and the '97 are the same part number (Ford part # F1TZ-9C968-A).

Last edited:

griz700rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interested in how this turns out. I have a 93 with a bad 4.0 and a good 4.0 OHV out of a 99 explorer that I would like to swap in. I assumed I would have to swap the entire intake setup over but the 93 has a couple stuck injectors I would rather not have to replace.

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well as I look further, the Fuel Pressure Regulator on both the '94 and '97 (and I assume '95 and '96 as well) actually just bolts to the Fuel Rail Plate so I was wrong in saying that the Dorman manifold is missing the boss for the Fuel Pressure Regulator.

My truck is about 20 miles away in my buddy's farm shed and I have not seen it for about 6 months or I would have known this.

Last edited:

Denisefwd93

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
stock, may get leveling springs in front "somday"
Tire Size
the shop I use most wants $600 to do the valve cover and intake gaskets Normally I don't mind but since being retired money is tight. So my old friend Hank will help me on this. Just need to be sure of the gaskets to get.

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well the one I have used before and bought again when I first started this project was the Fel-Pro MS 98005 T.

I researched it before and this is the one I think most people have been using - it is two intake-to-head gaskets ("2-piece") rather than the 1-piece with the "pan" across the middle connecting the sides.

Here is a link to it on Fel-Pro's site:

http://www.fme-cat.com/overlays/part-detail.aspx?brand=FL&PartNumber=MS%2098005%20T&pt=Intake%20Manifold%20Gasket%20Set&lu=1993%20FORD%20RANGER&vin=

It is for the 4.0L V-6 in the '90 to '97 Rangers and '91 to '96 Explorers.

I used the Permatex Ultra Gray on the front/rear intake sealing surfaces and around the 4 water jacket openings. For the water jackets, I put a thin layer on the maniford and the head at all 4 corners, rather than using the bead method. I also put the Ultra Gray at the valve cover seal point where the intake and head meet up, before setting the valve cover gasket.

The Felpro 2 piece set has "ears" that hold it on the manifold, but you need to prefit them and put some marks on the ears and on the heads to know you have the gaskets lined up front-to-rear once you set the maniford back on. The sealer you put on for the 4 water jacket openings will also help hold each gasket.

There is a thread on ford-trucks.com with a lot of info about 4.0 intake gaskets.
Do a search for:
Coolant Loss - 4.0L OHV Lower Intake Gasket

or do an Advanced Search for posts by painterbob and you will find it.

Last edited:

painterbob

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, I bought a used lower intake manifold complete with injectors and the fuel rail plate off of ebay for $23 plus $29 shipping....yeah the shipping was more than the part...and I didn't even snipe it either - I put in a top bid of $35 about 6 hours before auction end.

It was off a '94 Explorer - it "said" it only had 83,000 miles. It was from a wrecking yard out in Washington state, but they already had it off, meaning it wasn't just a pic of the vehicle or the motor like wrecking yards sometimes do in their ebay listings.

It looks like the surface areas around the water jackets are OK....that could have something to do with only 83,000 miles so it might be the correct miles.

So, we'll see what this ebay intake looks like......but I probably will not be buying one of the new Dorman 615-295 intakes.....although I am still tempted to just to see if it will fit.....the Dorman has flat areas across both rear water cavities, NOT the holes that don't go anywhere like the stock manifold does - I think that is a lot better design. I figure I could always sell the one I bought off ebay if I end up getting the Dorman.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
But the other Fel-Pro set that only comes with the 1-piece intake-to-head gasket and two upper intake gaskets is part # MS 94682 for '90 to '94 and MS 94682-1 for '95.....
You may have known this already, but; the difference between those two parts is just the materials.(The first one is the paper-type material gaskets are usually made from. The second is metal with silicone seals embedded) In '95 Ford issued a TSB about the lower intake gaskets leaking. It applies to all earlier models. 94682-1 is the Fel-Pro copy of the part Ford recommended dealers install on vehicles that had a leak under warranty. That's why it is only listed for that year.

I used one on my '94 engine. It did good for a couple years. Now my lack sealant around that front coolant port has come back to bite me in the a**. It's leaking again. (My fault. I failed to understand the directions with the gasket)

swynx

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i may be a bit late, but i put a 1996 explorer 4.0 into my 1994, i left the lower intake on, but swapped the upper for my 1994. no problems at all.

when i had both lowers out, i compared them, and they looked to different to me. so i just threw the 1994 back on.

i have pictures on page 3 of my thread.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals