• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body Lift worth it?

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
The list of things to do on this B2 continues to grow!!! Noticed the body bushings between frame and body are worn out! Found replacement bushings for 80 bucks come to the conclusion that this is how you do body lifts as well would it be worth it to go ahead and put a 2 inch body lift on it? anyone have pics of a b2 with 2 inch body lift?

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
It all depends on what you want to accomplish?
If your just going to stuff stock tires under it then no. If you want a little bigger rubber under her then yes.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
Go for it. With 2" there is nothing that needs to be extended and it will give you the room to run a set of 31's that you were talking about in your other post.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Adding a couple of inches of body lift can give you enough extra room underneith to work on everything more comfortably. Especially trans swaps, and engine swaps. It Looks better than stock (In my opinion).
I am really glad I did mine, just before my M50D swap.

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
still havent fully understood the body lift... the little plastic blocks that are the "lift" they go between the body and body bushings? so my body bushings are toast im going to have to replace them regaurdless?

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you're gonna do the body bushings anyway, I say go ahead and do the lift at the same time. There are only benifits to doing it.

Lpannell25

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
guess that answered my question lol... doesnt seem to terribly bad either... access to all the bushings doesnt seem to bad... what about the the whole parking brake cable i have noticed how tight it is! it is as simple as just moving it a little or does it need to be disconnected and rerouted or anything... looked in tech library not much there other than saying you might have to move it

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The entire body is held onto the frame with bolts that go thru the body bushings, and mount plates/brackets. I think 10 on a BII...

If your body bushings are toast, you do need to replace them. Depending on how bad they are, you might be able to go awhile before doing so. In my experience, the steel tubes inside the bushings tend to rust out, and may contribute to the mounts themselves rusting out. I had two mounts rusted out, and ended up welding a steel plate on top of each to replace the damage. I did try very large thick washers to cover the rusted out holes, but they didn't really work.

Sometimes you will have to either brake the bolts, or cut them, as they tend to rust solid in my experience. (even with liberal amounts of penetrant oil)

A decent body lift kit should come with extended bolts, an extension for the motor ground wire, and an extension for the steeringwheel shaft. You may need to make or buy extension mounts for your radiator. (I just used a couple of pieces of heavy gauge steel strapping with holes drilled to mount.)

Almost all the work envolved in adding the body lift, is being done while replacing the bushings.

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to make a short bracket extension for my parking brake, (lifting it higher, I think) but then ended up swapping in a 8.8 rearend w/ disk brakes right after, so had to custom build a cable connector for the parking brake setup.

Different people have dealt with this issue in other ways. Maybe someone will chime in on it.

Redneck_Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I love my 3". Running 31s under it now, and it doesn't look bad at all.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Moving the p-brake bracket up higher on the frame is all I had to do with mine (2" BL). IIRC all that is needed is drilling another single hole to remount it.

When i did my 8.8" swap (disc brakes), I did have to fab up a custom linkage to connect the Explorer p-brake cables to the BII's pedal cable, however I did not have to do anything further with the bracket on the frame.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Could not agree more with putting in the body lift. I MUCH prefer working on anything under my 88 w/ a 3" BL than my stock 87. ESPCIALLY when doing anything exhaust related.....

HVAC_Rat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Love 3" lift. It makes everything easier. Plenty of room to work on anything. Made trans swap a lot easier. You won't be sorry.

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put a 2" lift in tranny swaps are easier.I got my exhaust up tighter changed my radiator bracket and got my winch to fit flush with the stock bumper.That way it doesn't change my approach angle.

RICO9

07/2014 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Title says 84.
Make / Model
Furd
Engine Size
2.8L w/ Chevy TBI.
Transmission
Manual
My BL allows me to change the it tank fuel pump with out dropping the tank.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals