• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ticking after pushrod replacement

DangerangerHD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
1994 b4000 4.0 jet performance chip

Recently had to do my valve cover gaskets and thought I'd go ahead and do pushrods and rockers while everything was apart even though I wasn't having any ticking issues.

Managed to break my egr tube in the process and replaced with a new 1994 egr valve and tube.

After installation I noticed exhaust coming out of two small holes on the new egr that weren't on the one I removed. Not knowing what they are used for I tapped them and sealed with bolts for the time being. I looked online and it looks like the 1995 egr valve does not have these holes.

I've since and now (500 miles later) had a very annoying tick under load, assuming the the pushrods and rockers were to blame I tore down the top end to inspect and they look fine and tight. Could the egr be causing pinging? I also used a small amount of muffler putty to seal between the egr tube flare and the compression nut at the exhaust manifold because the nut would not seat fully in the rusty threads.

Any input on what is wrong? Do I just need to unblock the holes on the egr valve? Should I buy a 1995 valve? Can I bypass it to trouble shoot or as a cheap fix? Could the seal at the tube/manifold be to blame? Or are my vacuum lines hooked up incorrectly?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals