• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 sohc wireing info

rekles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 ohv, 4.0sohv
Transmission
Manual
Im swapping over 2001 4.0sohc into a 99 ranger that came with a 4.0ohv.

My question is, Is this a plug and play swap on the firewall side?

meaning if i replace the engine wire harness should all the connections be the same or is the wiring under the dash different and i need to swap out dash wire harness as well?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, not plug and play

Not sure if the 4.0l OHV computer will run the 4.0l SOHC engine very well, may need to run 91 octane fuel all the time.
SOHC has 9.7:1 compression ratio so will be pingy on 87-89 octane, which is why it has the Knock sensor, OHV computer doesn't have that hook up.

Fuel pressure is the same and spark.
All the other sensors are the same but not sure on wiring colors.

If you swap computers you also need to swap keys because of PATS system and new computer must match 1999 transmission model.

2001 4.0l SOHC should also get new timing chain tensioners, and new chains and guides if they look worn

rekles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 ohv, 4.0sohv
Transmission
Manual
Yes I am swapping over ecm, engine wire harness, and complete engine and trans.
also i will get the key recoded once everything is dialed in. I was planning on taping the sohc key to the steering column so it can pick up the original key code and i can use the keys that came with the 99.

my question is there any wireing differences in the dash and interior that would make me have to swap out both dashes? Pretty much where the 3 rectangular plugs are in the firewall is there any difference?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The '01 key near the PATS "wand" will work but you can't use '99 PATS keys, as BOTH will send out RF IDs and neither will pass the test.
So get non-PATS '99 keys cut, or a single key cut to get truck to locksmith so he canadd your '99 PATS keys to the '01 computers list of PATS keys

Yes, there will be a difference in the plug pins, but just a guess since it will be year specific not general.

I would look for EVTM( Electrical and Vacuum Troubleshooting Manual) for 1999 Ranger and 2001 Ranger, these are year specific and part of the Shop Manual sets Ford does for every vehicle every year.
They detail every wire and every connector and it's pins and location, also includes supplements on changes during that model year

Last edited:

rekles

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 ohv, 4.0sohv
Transmission
Manual
so swap out dash too lol

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yes. Swap out dash too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals