• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0L to 4.0L SOHC

etemplet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 Explorer 4.0L SOHC I am considering putting in a 2000 Ranger (current engine 3.0L 296K miles) . The 4.0 is high mileage 243K. I'm gonna do a compression check on the engine, then I'm gonna do some serious marking of wires and picture taking as I remove everything and take parts off the vehicle. Now after that. I am gonna replace the timing chains and all that stuff in there. Depending on compression, I may go further. Initially, I was gonna just rebuild the engine completely. :icon_idea:

We'll see. I might do a lil port matching, give the exhaust a lil breathing room....maybe. This is basically my Yard truck but I want to be able to just hop in and go where I want. Sorta...."Drive that ole Chrysler to Mexico boy !! Uhhh...Keep your hands on the wheel there !! Now ya got it !! ZZ TOP !!
LOL

How much of a pain are the perpherials going to be ?? I'm thinking I gotta change it all but I have a complete vehicle for swapping out parts. I'm gonna refresh the transmission as well.

Touchdowns everyone. :beer:

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Well, you need wiring, all accessories, the computer, and the transmission from the donor.

etemplet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you need wiring, all accessories, the computer, and the transmission from the donor.
I read something about a rear end swap. I have not checked my gearing but I'm wondering if that will be necessary as well. This had me looking around for a Ranger with a 4.0L to purchase. :icon_confused: Now....I'm to the point where I have time, and I'm not spending $7K for a decent Ranger that might just need what I'm doing anyway.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
Plenty of used 4.0 SOHC's out there. Not worth the effort to swap a bunch of stuff over and make it work just to lose 50 hp.

etemplet

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
If I'm gonna spend money to rebuild and engine, I'd just as soon rebuild one that has better performance. I don't see a whole lot of work involved swapping the components. That was my question. What kind of can of worms am I opening by doing the swap? I read about people swapping 5.0l and they seem to be successful so... at least this engine came in the vehicles.

FWIW, I haven't come across a cheap Ranger with a 4.0L. $6K is a low price for a 4.0 Ranger with 125K miles on it (10 years old). I can't believe the price as a matter of fact. :icon_surprised: For the truck I would want, it would cost $8k to $12K and even that is about a 5 year old truck mileage up to 175K. I can spend $2K or $3K on this one, not even that much and get what I want. Plus, I get to upgrade stuff in the process if I want to. I'm all about keeping everything stock though. Getting it to breath a lil better is cool.

I thought about buying a newer model with everything I want but where do you stop. I don't want something I'm gonna have to work on to get in shape. This one will be when I am done. No rush, gonna be fun....or errr...interesting. :beer:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals