• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Did Bronco IIs come with 2 different styles of wiring harness?

SSSnakeCharmer

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
The alternator went out on my 89 recently and I thought it would be an easy fix... It wasn't. I got the alternator unbolted and ready to come out but couldn't unplug the longer rectangular plug. It turned out that it wasn't actually a plug, instead it was actually part of the alternator and hard wired to the harness with no way to disconnect it except by cutting the wires, which would leave no way to plug in the new alternator. After I cut the wires and got the alternator out I went to the junk yard and looked at a few B2s and rangers to see if any were like mine. The first B2 was completely different than mine and I observed that the harness wires that connect to the alternator had actual plugs and were not hard wired to the alternator, also I traced the wires to their starting point where they tie into the rest of the harness and they tied in on the drivers side near the fender well and had a round connecter that you could unplug to disconnect that whole section of harness that plugs into the alternator. On mine the plug wires tie into the rest of the harness on the passenger side by the battery tray near the black fuse box looking thing and there is no round connecter you can unplug, the wires are permanently part of the harness. Most of the other b2s and rangers were like mine except they had 2 plugs instead of 1 being hard wired to the alternator. I ended up using part of a harness from a ranger and soldering it onto my harness. Anyone else ever deal with my weird alternator setup or notice 2 different styles of wiring harness?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
yes there are different styles.

but that alternator should have a wire that unplugs or unbolts, unless someone did some custom hackage.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
^^^ What he said!

I just unplugged the alternator in my 89 Bronco II. I had a bit of trouble getting the plug out, ended up loosening the alternator and turning it so the belt was as loose as possible to rotate the plug up on top and had to use a screwdriver to get the plug loose. But yea, unless it was custom hackage, the plug should come out. It's just kinda buried in there.

Which reminds me... I need to change the brushes in that alternator before it goes in my other truck...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals