• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4.0 Wiring Help

work_in_progress

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
89 B2 with 92 Exploder engine. When key is turned, the starter does not engage, and the check oil pressure light comes on. Could it be that the truck is completely miswired, or that the oil sensor is trashed? Help?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Automatic or manual trans?

If automatic, check NSS(neutral safety switch) on trans, also try starting in neutral instead of Park

If manual, check Clutch switch on pushrod

With vehicle in Park or Neutral and tires blocked.
Turn key on

Use a jumper wire from battery "+" to the smaller wire's terminal on the starter motor, the "S" connection.
Starter should start cranking engine.
If not then starter motor is bad or battery's larger cables are not passing power.

If starter works then problem is in the ignition switch, NSS(Clutch switch) or the wiring between them

Since you commented on "other lights" coming on, ignition switch under the steering column might be the place to start.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Swap wiring is not always easy. Especially when using Explorer harnesses because they don't match anything else perfectly.

Don't worry about some huge systemic problem, you at most have a handfull of small, unrelated issues. Set out diagnosing each individual problem by itself, and fixing each one.

Do like Ron said for checking your start circuits and don't worry about the oil pressure light right now. That is a fairly simple circuit and the light should be on if the engine isn't running. If it still acts oddly once you get her started, then worry about that.

I had my first 4.0 swap driving for a few months before I had all my gauges and stuff working right.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
I've been driving like 2 years now and all my gauges still aren't right. The gas gauge stays on the bottom most of the time. Sometimes it'll go up to 1/4 when the tank is full. If I take the sender out of the tank it works fine....

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I have two gauges that don't work. My oil pressure and coolant temp.

Oil pressure sender is unplugged because it is bass ackwards to my cluster and oil pressure in the system keeps the light on. Coolant temp doesn't work because I had some mystery loss and dumped some of that Barr's gel in the system, and it sealed the sensor.

shadow88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had the same trouble when I did my swap, mine was a neutral safety switch on the motor wire harness, my 4.0 came from a automatic and my bronco was a manual, all I did was bypass the switch by taking out the switch, and splicing the two wires together, pink with a blue stipe if I remember right

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals