• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sway bar on FX4 lvl II

drzee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Sorry if this question has already been addressed, couldn't find another thread.

I have a 2007 FX4 Level II, bought it new and always had it serviced by the local Ford dealer. I had a flat last week and changing the tire I noticed the front sway bar is not connected. No sway bar link to the lower control arm, both sides. It looks like it was just never there. Makes my life easier if I put a lift on, but was this normal from the factory to not connect the sway bar? I couldn't find anything in the manual on this.

Anyone else have this?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is most certainly not normal. Think about it logically? What purpose could it serve if it's not connected to anything?

The links are a common failure point. One breaks, all the force is transferred to the other, and then it breaks. They probably broke and fell out along the road.

Go get new aftermarket ones. Ford's design was weakened by the fact that the sheaths retain water and make them corrode faster. The Moog ones don't do that.

drzee

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the quick reply,
If these did break on the road, wouldn't something still be connected? A bolt or bushing at least? - there is nothing at all on the control arm or the sway bar, on either side.

I'll take a look at the Moog ones, thanks

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
What usually happens is the bolt head pops off and all the crap that builds up inside keeps the lower part from falling out.

If you drove around like that for a while I'd be surprised if they were still there.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals