• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM manual hubs on an AWD

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
i have a 2000 XLS 5.0L AWD and this crazy idea of changing the full time front 4wd system to the vacuum style hubs then slapping on a pair of the AVM manual hubs. obviously i know the tcase is always engaged in the AWD, but if the hubs arent locked to the splines in the axle shafts, its essentially 2wd ? just thinking of options other than removing my front driveshaft for the summer months. anyone else attempted this or is there an easier way ? as far as i am aware, there is no "switchable" Tcase that will bolt to the AWD trans which would be sweet, because the wiring and everything is already in the harness i noticed, just not used with the AWD

exbass94

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC, 4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Putting manual hubs on is possible, but it requires changing a lot of parts and isn't really worth it. There's a complete how-to over on explorerforum if you want to look into it. I don't know how this would affect the transfer casr however. It might act like an open diff and just spin the front output instead of driving the rear. Idk, take off the front driveshaft and see what happens.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Word of caution: Without the front driveshaft (or with manual hubs unlocked) the truck will roll in park!! (AWD Explorer only)

shovelmike

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The manual hubs on an AWD would defeat the purpose of manual hubs, with the drive shaft in place all the gears in the front differential will still be turning.
I'm not sure whether or not you would get power to the rear with the front drive shaft removed, you would have to give it a try.
For my purposes at the time, vehicle for my wife to haul the kids in, my full time 4x4 Explorer limited was ideal, since she tended to inadvertently leave my part time 4x4 in 4 wheel and wonder why it hopped around on corners.

redbird

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
f
Transmission
Automatic
yeah, i removed the front driveshaft from my '95 and after about a week i figured out why it would roll even when in park, well, i have all the stuff for the vac hub conversion, id much prefer to swap out my transfer case for one that is like the 4.0L explorer, because i know the wiring and all is in the AWD it just isnt plugged into anything. im going to investigate further, may be easier to swap a Tcase in from an F series or full size bronco than convert to the vac hub setup

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals