• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Finally starting to tear into the B2...

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
That's why I moved to Cameron. I have twice the house, 3 times the land and cut my mortgage by 1/3. As an added bonus, I never hear thumping stereos in the middle of the night, there is no crime and our rush hour looks like Raleigh's 3am. But wait! There's more! our city police officer only works 3 days a week. Go back to Raleigh? Naaa...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i want the land, everything else would just be a plus. in a year or so i'll be mobile for work anyhow, so it wont matter where we live

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
I took the '86 down the highway for the first time since I got him running. 80mph with no problems. It has GREAT road manners (Compared to the wobbly S-10 Blazer I used to have). It even took me from 50 to 80 rather quickly in 5th gear. I didn't have to downshift (Like I did with my Isuzu Troopers). It holds great oil pressure and the temp guage looks great too. So in the end, here's what I did...

Remanned heads from Cylinder Heads Intl. (Awesome buy! I got the updated heads with the "90TM" casting. The bolt bosses on the front and back of the heads were different sizes from the originals, so I had to replace a handful of bolts). New water pump, thermostat, radiator and hoses after cleaning out the water jackets in the block and intake with easy-off and a long flexible brush. I flushed out the cooling system twice and put on new tires. I found a deal on a set of Goodyear Wrangler ATs. Under $400.00 for 5 tires.

I cleaned and painted both parts of the intake and cleaned out and polished the passage through the throttle plate. I changed the transmission oil and have ordered a new drive shaft from Jeff's. I went with the conversion to get away from the GKN "CV" style shaft. I have also ordered replacement light lenses for the tails, markers and turn signals... Not that all that was needed... I only needed one tail light lens, but I found a set of all exterior lenses for less than $50.00... So I got them.

I 409'ed and Purple Powered the inside and gave it a good vacuum. It isn't in bad shape at all. This truck is actually turning out to be better than I expected. I got it through the state inspection with the toughest inspector I have ever met, so it must really be roadworthy!

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
where'd you find the replacement lenses? $50 aint bad

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
that's not bad, mine are in pretty bad shape. i might try one of those headlight restoration kits on it. or just get some steel wool and some go-jo to rub on it. i got crap all in the inside as well, so i dont know how well it'll work

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
What lenses do you need? Mine are not in all that bad of shape. I only got the kit because it was cheap enough. I have one tail light that has a crack in it. otherwise, the side markers and turn signals are great... I will be happy to save them for you. AND... I am planning on a trip to Raleigh this weekend... well... Fuquay/Cary...

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
well, the very front lenses are in good shape, the two lenses on the side at the front dont even work, i dont know what the hell is going on with them. i have some dents up there that i wanna fix, so i'll most likey just get rid of them. it's really just the bad 2 lenses that are real dirty. i think i can clean them up well enough to statisfy me. i need to do other things before i spend time on that lol

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i just wish i could find the clear fender corners again...

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
I replaced the drive shaft today with the non-CV conversion from Jeff's Bronco Graveyard. AWESOME bolt in at half the price of a crappy remanned original style. no more "clackety clackety clack" when starting off.

tomorrow, I will attack the oil filter adapter. it is leaking. may do a set of lift blocks out back to get the ass end off of the tires too.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i've been meaning to ask you. do you know of any good junkyards around raleigh/cary/apex/sanford? there's 2 pull-a-parts, one in durham and one in clayton (LKQ i think it is?) havent tried them yet.

moogvo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L Mustang engine
Transmission
Automatic
last pic a part I went to was TE Nines out in zebulon. they had some older stuff. there are a couple around here in Sanford and Broadway, but I have never been to them. Too bad Wake Auto Parts shut down.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals