• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

How the HECK do i get my Y Pipe off??

ThaBlueRidge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
SOO I'm yankin the 2.9L and dropping in a nice clean low miles 4.0L. Pretty easy right? Same mounts, block, wiring harness. Piece of cake. Walk in the park. I'll be done by sunday, right? WRONG!! Jeez, those bolts must be in the most awkward place possible. I can get a rachet on one of the bolts (still can't get it to budge with PB blaster + propane though) but forget getting it on the engine side bolt. Man they don't look THAT rusted (...still they pretty rusted) but they're on their tight.

How did you guys handle the exhaust?? I can probably get two off on the y pipe -> cat but I don't know how I'd get the high one. I gave up pretty quick on the donor and just sawzalled right behind the flange on the cat side.

GAH WHAT DO?!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
It's tricky. I don't remember the exact method that I use enough to describe it. I could def do it again if I had to.

I do know that it involves a knuckle, 2 extensions, a shallow socket, and an impact gun. It's just a bad spot to try and reach on the ground.

59bisquik

April 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
I have an 86 B2 and used a 91 Sploder engine... Both only had one O2 sensor. I reused my B2 Y-pipe and just upgraded to the Explorer sensor.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think I have got mine off a couple times with a lot of extensions and an impact. Maybe it was a ratchet with a cheater pipe, dunno... but it was a bitch. I broke at least one of the studs off in the manifold. I would HIGHLY recommend new studs for the 4.0.... I have done a couple engine swaps in the past where I cheaped out and tried to reuse them and regretted it.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yup, its a b!tch. I broke all but one on my 4.0. Couldn't even get em drilled out. Used those fancy exhaust clamps( C clamps in a pinch) and all is good.

ThaBlueRidge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Ok, yeah I guess Ima get some extensions and see if I can get to em with the impact. Enough time and beer should solve this problem...

bahndrvr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went through this last weekend, I used Heat like a mofo, and then extensions and a breaker bar, with the heat, just ended up breaking every damn bolt - no worries, getting grade 5 bolts in case I have to break them off again in the future, but due to this, and this alone, I'm putting a Bodylift on so I have easier access to them next time hahaha

Ok, that's not hte only reason but it comes into play:)

ThaBlueRidge

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90
Engine Size
4.0L, 2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm putting a Bodylift on so I have easier access to them next time hahaha

Ok, that's not hte only reason but it comes into play:)
You know I've been toying with the idea of a bodylift so it will be easier to work on the truck. I'll let everyone know how I get the bolts out. Unfortunately I can't work on it everyday because its on the farm about 20 miles away.

TexCaliBII

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hey,
I just recently did this on my 88 B2. I could not get the top bolt on the Y-pipe/cat flange untill I got the whole thing out of the truck. Getting the bolts out of the manifolds required my 3/4 drive breaker, 1/2 drive extension(s), imapct swivel/socket and a long pipe as well as much cussing! My air gun just did not have the guts to attack these bolts. Once I had the y-pipe/cat out, after taking the motor mount nuts off and jacking the engine up tp clear the y-pipe between the crossmember and engine, I got the three bolts holding the y-pipe/cat apart with a torch and a hammered on 9/16 box end wrench. Like the other guys said, I replaced those bolts/nuts with grade 5 and lots of anti-sieze. That'll most likely burn off of course but man I'm willing to try anything to keep that battle from happening again. Good luck on yours.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals